Re: Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Jul 29, 2012.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 7/29/2012 12:01 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
    > I'm trying to understand where Python fits into the set of commonly
    > available, commercially used languages of the moment.

    Ever heard of a little startup called Google? It was built with C, Java,
    .... and Python. I believe Youtube is scripted in Python.

    > Are applications generally written entirely in python
    > or is it more often used for a subset of functionality.

    Even if the direct application is in Python, if it runs on CPython, it
    probably uses modules coded or re-coded in C, and it certainly used
    builtin functions and classes coded in C.

    The first 'killer app' for Python, in the 1990s, was its use as a glue
    language for interactive and batch scientific/numerical computation
    mostly done in compiled Fortran.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Jul 29, 2012