Re: Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul van der Linden, Jul 29, 2012.

  1. Scripting is one of the strong sides of python. I use it al the time to quickly write a script to analyze something or automate. That is probably the reason it is used to glue (script) things together and is embedded in some programs (like Maya and such).

    At the company we're using python and django for websites, from small micro sites till big enterprise sites.

    Currently I'm working on a highly configurable application to control a maya render cluster.

    You can also use it for testing and even frontend testing.

    I think you can use python for almost everything, tough I think it's less suitable for non-web gui applications.

    lipska the kat <>schreef:

    Pythoners

    Firstly, thanks to those on the tutor list who answered my questions.

    I'm trying to understand where Python fits into the set of commonly
    available, commercially used languages of the moment.

    My most recent experience is with Java. The last project I was involved
    with included 6775 java source files containing 1,145,785 lines of code.
    How do I know this? because I managed to cobble together a python script
    that walks the source tree and counts the lines of code. It ignores
    block and line comments and whitespace lines so I'm fairly confident
    it's an accurate total. It doesn't include web interface files (mainly
    ..jsp and HTML) or configuration files (XML, properties files and what
    have you). In fact it was remarkably easy to do this in python which got
    me thinking about how I could use the language in a commercial environment.

    I was first attracted to python by it's apparent 'Object Orientedness' I
    soon realised however that by looking at it in terms of the language I
    know best I wasn't comparing like with like. Once I had 'rebooted the
    bioware' I tried to approach python with an open mind and I have to say
    it's growing on me.

    The questions I have are ...

    How is python used in the real world.
    What sized projects are people involved with
    Are applications generally written entirely in python or is it more
    often used for a subset of functionality.

    I hope this is an acceptable question for this group

    Many thanks

    Lipska

    --
    Lipska the Kat: Troll hunter, sandbox destroyer
    and farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun
    Paul van der Linden, Jul 29, 2012