Re: Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andrew Berg, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. Andrew Berg

    Andrew Berg Guest

    On 7/29/2012 7:12 PM, Rodrick Brown wrote:
    > Python is a glue language much like Perl was 10 years ago. Until the
    > GIL is fixed I doubt anyone will seriously look at Python as an option
    > for large enterprise standalone application development.

    The GIL is neither a bug to be fixed nor an inherent part of the
    language. It is a design choice for CPython. There are reasons the
    CPython devs have no intention of removing the GIL (at least in the near
    future). A recent outline of these reasons (written by one of the
    CPython devs) is here:

    http://python-notes.boredomandlazin...the-gil-is-more-important-than-fixing-unicode
    --
    CPython 3.3.0b1 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17803

    Andrew Berg, Jul 30, 2012