Re: Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Chase, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. Tim Chase

    Tim Chase Guest

    On 07/29/12 21:31, Rodrick Brown wrote:
    > Its still not possible to be a pure Python developer and find
    > gainful employment today.

    I'm not sure where you get your facts, but unless you define "pure"
    in a super-narrow way, it's just flat-out wrong. I've been employed
    doing primarily Python for the past 7+ years. Yes, there's been
    some SQL involved; yes, I've done code-reviews for somebody else's
    C# (the nice thing about C-like languages is they all read mostly
    the same); yes, some of the web apps have required knowing
    ECMAScript, HTML, XML, CSS, etc. But the day to day is mostly
    coding in Python. And the several recruiters that have contacted me
    in the past week or two about additional Python positions seem to
    think there are pure Python jobs available.

    Maybe you intended to write "not possible to be a poor Python
    developer and find gainful employment today" which could surely be
    the case, as I've met LOTS of programmers (Python and otherwise)
    that I'd never consider hiring because of their poor
    skills/understanding of their tools.

    -tkc
    Tim Chase, Jul 30, 2012