RE: Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Prasad, Ramit, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. > I work in financials and the majority of our apps are developed in C++

    > and Java yet all the tools that startup, deploy and conduct rigorous
    > unit testing are implemented in Python or Shell scripts that wrap
    > Python scripts.
    >
    > Python definitely has its place inthe enterprise however not so much
    > for serious stand alone app development.
    >
    > I'm starting to see Python used along side many statistical and
    > analytical tools like R, SPlus, and Mathlab for back testing and
    > prototype work, in a lot of cases I've seen quants and traders
    > implement models in Python to back test and if successful converted to
    > Java or C++.

    Maybe this is true in *your* experience but *my* experience is very
    different. I have seen Python modules become modules that end up
    rewritten in C for performance reasons but I consider that part of the
    power of Python and an argument *for* Python.

    Ramit
    This email is confidential and subjectto important disclaimers and
    Prasad, Ramit, Jul 30, 2012