RE: Is Python your only programming language?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jimmy Retzlaff, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Joe Cheng wrote:
    > I'm curious about something... many Artima.com members who have a Java
    > background and learned Python have come to the conclusion that Java

    and
    > Python are highly complimentary languages. They would never consider
    > filling the place Java has in their toolbox with Python, but recognize

    there
    > are many tasks where it really pays to add Python to the mix.
    >
    > I want to ask you hard-core c.l.p Pythonistas: Do you use Python for
    > everything? (and I'm counting Python + C extensions as just Python)

    Or do
    > you keep another language equally close at hand, and if so, what is

    it? And
    > finally, do you foresee a day when Python can be, for all practical

    intents
    > and purposes, your only programming language?

    I'm almost exclusively using Python and SQL these days. Before
    discovering Python I was mainly using C++ and SQL with a little Java and
    a little VBScript (in ASP). Within a few months all new code was in
    Python/SQL and the other languages were only used for maintenance. After
    a couple years of that, we found that it was often easier to translate
    subsystems into Python than to add features in the other languages.

    That was all at my previous job. In my current position we used to
    occasionally write some C (Python C API) or C++ (Boost) extensions.
    Since installing psyco and ctypes I don't think we've written a single
    line of C/C++ and we've even migrated some of those extensions to
    Python. Our core product is a Python application. You can see a few
    screenshots at http://www.averdevelopment.com. It contained about 30K
    lines of Python at last count.

    Jimmy
    Jimmy Retzlaff, Aug 12, 2003