RE: Is there a "Large Scale Python Software Design" ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Frohnhofer, James, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Why do you say 'simple-minded'?

    Frohnhofer, James, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Frohnhofer, James <> wrote:

    > Why do you say 'simple-minded'?

    Why do you top-post?

    > > 2. simple-minded tools have an easier time offering such editing
    > > services as "auto-completion", which may save a little typing;
    > >
    > > 3. simple-minded compilers have an easier time producing halfway
    > > decent code;

    Sophisticated compilers can do type inferencing without any need for the
    crutch of static typing -- cfr. Scheme's "Stalin", or our own psyco --
    for example. Forcing the user to do the compiler's work allows the
    computer to be simple-minded while still making halfway decent code.

    A similar case, which surely can't have faded from collective memory
    yet, was C's "register" keyword. Once upon a time, compilers were SO
    simple-minded that they couldn't assign registers decently; so, the C
    programmer was supposed to help them out by tagging with 'register',
    rather than with 'auto' (the default), the variables he wanted to be
    kept in registers. Of course, once the general level of compiler
    technology became a bit better, compilers became much better allocators
    of registers than programmers could ever hope to be, so they started
    treating 'register' as a comment, not helping (nor hindering) them in
    doing their job.

    Type inferencing is not that much harder than optimal register
    allocation, with a decent static typing system (a la Haskell/ML), and is
    still well within compiler writers' abilities even with horrid
    typesystems or dynamic typing. (Of course, if the compiler must be
    horridly complex no matter what, in order to deal with a horridly
    complicated language, the compiler's maintainers are likely to be too
    busy fighting alligators to remember their jobs should be to drain the
    swamp:). If you generally like Python but would like to see it with
    static typing and inferencing, try Boo, <http://boo.codehaus.org/>. For
    inferencing (actually type annotation of flow graphs, but that's a
    detail;-) on Python w/o static typing, see Pypy,
    <http://codespeak.net/pypy/> (not a mature project yet, but very active
    and fun to play with;-).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Frohnhofer, James

    JCM Guest

    Alex Martelli <> wrote:
    > Frohnhofer, James <> wrote:

    >> Why do you say 'simple-minded'?

    > Why do you top-post?

    Be civil. There are those who prefer it, in some cases. If you don't
    like it, don't do it.

    JCM, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Frohnhofer, James

    R Baumann Guest

    "JCM" <> wrote in message
    > Alex Martelli <> wrote:
    > > Frohnhofer, James <> wrote:

    > >> Why do you say 'simple-minded'?

    > > Why do you top-post?

    > Be civil. There are those who prefer it, in some cases. If you don't
    > like it, don't do it.

    How about we don't rehash the top-post/bottom-post war again?

    Common courtesy implies that you follow the generally accepted posting
    guidelines of the newgroup your communicating in. The c.l.py newsgroups
    prefers bottom-posting, comp.databases.ms-access prefers top-posting.

    There is no absolute law that says you MUST top-post, or you MUST
    bottom-post.
    Thanks

    R Baumann, Oct 19, 2004