Re: Is there a quick & accurate way to test a python install?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gene Heskett, Dec 16, 2012.

  1. Gene Heskett

    Gene Heskett Guest

    On Sunday 16 December 2012 01:33:35 Terry Reedy did opine:

    > On 12/15/2012 9:59 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
    > > This is 2.6, on ubuntu-10.04.4 LTS
    > >
    > > gene@lathe:/usr/lib/python2.6/test$ python -m test.regrtest

    > That should be the right incantation for 2.6.
    >
    > > test_grammar
    > > test_grammar skipped -- No module named test_grammar
    > > test_opcodes
    > > test_opcodes skipped -- No module named test_opcodes
    > > test_dict
    > > test_dict skipped -- No module named test_dict
    > > test_builtin

    > You appear to have some of /Lib/test/ present, including
    > Lib/test/regrtest.py, but not move of the test_xxx.py files. I do not
    > know what is normal for an Ubuntu distribution. On Windows, I believe it
    > is all or nothing.

    /usr/lib/test?
    gene@lathe:/usr/lib/python2.6$ locate lib/test
    /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/python-core-2.6.1/lib/idlelib/testcode.py
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/testing
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/tests
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/testing/__init__.py
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/testing/__init__.pyc
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/testing/helpers.py
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/testing/helpers.pyc
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/tests/__init__.py
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/tests/__init__.pyc
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/tests/test_launchpad.py
    /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/launchpadlib/tests/test_launchpad.pyc

    There are half a dozen or more branches of the python tree that claim to
    have test things, but the universal answer is:

    gene@lathe:/usr/lib/python2.6$ cd /usr/share/pyshared/numpy/lib/tests
    gene@lathe:/usr/share/pyshared/numpy/lib/tests$ python -m test -uall
    /usr/bin/python: test is a package and cannot be directly executed

    I have installed several more python 'likely suspects' but have not changed
    a thing in the results.

    > > ImportError: cannot import name test_timeout

    > I have no idea why this one gave an exception rather than a skip.

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
    -- T. S. Eliot, "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton"
    I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
    harder and harder to find any...
    Gene Heskett, Dec 16, 2012