Re: Is There Free Alternate To JDBC-ODBC Bridge In JDK

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dave Glasser, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Dave Glasser

    Dave Glasser Guest

    "Brett Sheeran" <> wrote on Mon, 25
    Aug 2003 15:08:54 +1200 in comp.lang.java.programmer:

    >Hi there. Is there a free alternative to the JDBC-ODBC bridge bundled with
    >j2sdk1.4.1_01?
    >
    >Or failing that, is there a way I can use an earlier version of the
    >JDBC-ODBC bridge (such as version with jdk1.1.8) .
    >
    >The reason I ask is because I am currently attempting to connect to software
    >called iFix via iFix's ODBC connection driver. My problem is that versions
    >of Sun's JDBC-ODBC bridge from 1.2 on are not compatible with the iFix ODBC
    >driver (strange but true). Consequently, I can query iFix via JDBC if I use
    >jdk1.1.8, but not j2sdk1.4.1_01.
    >
    >Unfortunately, we cannot use jdk1.1.8 because the Java application in
    >question uses Swing libraries. Furthermore, while there is a 3rd party JDBC

    You can use Swing with jdk1.1.8, but it may be a separate dowload.

    >driver for iFix (which would eliminate the need for a bridge) the cost of
    >purchasing several copies of the driver is not economic for this project.
    >Any suggestions?

    I'm curious as to what happens when you try to use a newer JDK, like
    1.4.1. What kind of error message do you get?

    I don't know of any free alternative JDBC-ODBC bridges, but perhaps
    you can get a new ODBC driver for iFix that will work with JDK 1.4.1.

    ----
    Check out QueryForm, a free, open source, Java/Swing-based
    front end for relational databases.

    http://qform.sourceforge.net
    Dave Glasser, Aug 25, 2003

  2. The message is:

    SQL Exception: The result set type is not supported.

    Brett Sheeran, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Dave Glasser

    Dave Glasser Guest

    "Brett Sheeran" <> wrote on Tue, 26
    Aug 2003 13:57:34 +1200 in comp.lang.java.programmer:

    >The message is:
    >
    >SQL Exception: The result set type is not supported.

    What type of resultset are you talking about? If it's not
    TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY, maybe you could change your code to use that type,
    because virtually every ODBC driver should support that. If it is,
    then you've probably found some obscure bug in Suns JDBC-ODBC bridge.
    Dave Glasser, Aug 26, 2003
  4. Dave Glasser

    Andy Flowers Guest

    See what types are supported with supportsResultSetType and which
    concurrency with supportsResultSetConcurrency

    i.e.

    if( con.supportsResultSetType(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE))
    {
    System.out.println("Supports TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE");
    }

    etc...

    Andy Flowers, Aug 26, 2003
  5. Dave Glasser

    Andy Flowers Guest

    Have you tried using the native iFix ODBC driver ?

    Possibly at http://www.atinet.com/products/openaccess/jdbc_overview.asp if
    my google search for iFix worked ok ?

    Andy Flowers, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Hi Andy,

    Thanks for replying. Yes, I have successfully used Intellution's iFix ODBC
    driver (with WinSql).

    I have also successfully run a simple Java JDBC test program to iFix using
    JDK 1.1.8. However, I cannot run the same program with JDK 1.4.1. The N.Z.
    agent for iFix tells me the iFix ODBC driver will not work with the JDBC -
    ODBC bridge in version 1.2 or later of the Java JDK.

    Automation Technology Inc (URL at http://www.atinet.com) also make JDBC &
    ODBC drivers for iFix. However, the driver costs U.S. $1,500 and the cost of
    purchasing several licences would be prohibitive for this job.

    Regards Brett

    Brett Sheeran, Aug 27, 2003