Re: Is this a good way? Please advise.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jerry, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Jerry

    Jerry Guest

    Hi, Marina,
    Thank you for your response. The data stored in the session could be 10000
    rows data set as you said, it could also be string or intergers. The only
    purpose of this process is to limit developers from using session
    variables.

    So your vote: NO
    Thank you again.

    Jerry

    "Marina" <> wrote in message
    > What exactly do you want to store in session? Are we talking datasets

    with
    > 10000 rows each, or just some strings or integers?
    >
    > Your process implies distrust of the developers. Why not just decide

    which
    > session variables you need, and then that's what the developers would
    > create? Just make it clear that there has to be an approval process

    first -
    > but isn't this complicated scheme a bit overboard? I mean, if someone
    > doesn't want to follow the rules, he will just access the Session object
    > directly. And if everyone is willing to follow them, then they will just

    do
    > so, and be responsible with the Session object.
    >
    > "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > > Dear All,
    > > My company is designing a new ASP.Net web application. Becasuse of the
    > > concern of abusing Session variable(will consume memory), our team is

    > going
    > > to use following apporach to avoid it. Some of team members think it is
    > > unnecessary and don't agree with this approach. I would like to hear

    your
    > > oppinion about this. Or if you use any of process to limit the

    developers
    > > using session variables in the ASP web application. Thank you in

    advance.
    > > Following is our proposal process.
    > > 1. Add the session variable names to the webconfig file. Only one person

    > in
    > > the team( 7 developers) is allowed to add it. So if other developers in

    > the
    > > team need to add new session variable, they need to ask that person to

    add

    Jerry, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Jerry

    Rajeev Soni Guest

    Hi,
    well using the session object whenever required / storing the appropriate values is ok, but restricting the developers by just defining the rule of readding the session variable name from the Web.Config file will just add another over head of reading an external file first then reading/placing the values in session.

    best thing to do is to access session directly without storing the names in web.config file and as add a coding standard to project development as adding any new session variables should be... approved.
    you can also have peer reviews on the code

    and u can anytime easily check the values in session by simple writing the peice of code
    for (int 1=0; i<Session.Count; i++)
    {
    Response.Write("<BR>Key : " + Session.Keys + " Value : " + Session.ToString());
    }

    Rajeev

    Rajeev Soni, Aug 4, 2003