Re: ISBN Barecode reader in Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Max Erickson, May 4, 2008.

  1. Max Erickson

    Max Erickson Guest

    Nick Craig-Wood <> wrote:

    > Joseph <> wrote:
    >> All: I have written a program to query Amazon with ISBN and get
    >> the book details. I would like to extend so that I can read
    >> ISBN from the barcode (I will take a photo of the same using
    >> webcam or mobile). Are there any opensource/free SDK doing the
    >> same? As it is a hobby project, I don't like to spend money on
    >> the SDK.

    > Pick yourself up a cue-cat barcode reader, eg from here or ebay
    >
    > http://www.librarything.com/cuecat
    >
    > These appear as a keyboard and "type" the barcode in to your
    > program.
    >
    > Cheap and effective.

    The killer application for ISBN lookup on Amazon is checking prices
    while in the bookstore. Being able to email a photo from your phone
    and then getting an email with the Amazon price in response would be
    way easier than typing the isbn into Google or whatever.

    max
    Max Erickson, May 4, 2008

  2. Max Erickson <> writes:

    > The killer application for ISBN lookup on Amazon is checking prices
    > while in the bookstore. Being able to email a photo from your phone
    > and then getting an email with the Amazon price in response would be
    > way easier than typing the isbn into Google or whatever.

    Yeah, or just create a S60 python app to do it directly. Basically,
    just put up a web service somewhere that allows pushing an image of
    the barcode and returns the lowest price for that item, and the PyS60
    app will be done in a day.
    Ville M. Vainio, May 5, 2008