Re: isInstance problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ben Jessel, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Ben Jessel

    Ben Jessel Guest

    O.k, o.k. I see your point.
    I first started using it after I got fed up of trying to debug code
    where class variables / argument variables and method variables had
    the same name. Bad practice, yes, but with java beans / injectors and
    selectors / other people's code...it does happen.

    There's certainly merit in prefixing method argument variables with
    a_. You can trace how the variable is changed / interacted with quite
    easily through the method. It helps you spot side effects as well.

    I also try to use type prefixes for primitives. eg, a_s - argument
    String. Most time with object instances, it's pretty obvious by the
    name what they represent eg, userDetails, myResultSet, DBConn. So yes,
    type prefixes are
    bad.

    I think it is good practice to use notation of some form. The trouble
    is, using it badly / incorrectly / inconsistently can be more damaging
    than not using it at all.

    -b

    Ben Jessel, Jul 10, 2003