Re: It Validates, Nice but not in IE 8!!!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Nov 6, 2010.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mojo <> wrote:

    > Frustrating... So here is the page of my site, just about finished!
    >
    > http://www.boldplan.com/s/tiny/5zV2WR
    >

    > Despite it validating (if I get rid of the Google Map which is the
    > cause of the one error), I have a couple of problems with it and I'm
    > hoping you guys can help me out. :)
    >
    > 1. In Firefox, Safari and Chrome, this page almost looks perfect. The
    > one thing that all browsers are showing as not right is the large
    > vertical space between the "Practice Specialties" title and the logo
    > above. I thought it was related to the height in the avbox class but
    > apparent not. You can delete the entire css entry and there will still
    > be too much white space.

    When I removed the height in this class in *your last css sheet*
    called style.css, the white space went.

    This simple enough and pleasant layout (that is nevertheless hard
    to read because of over small font sizes and in not very wisely
    in pixels and parts of which break when user ups text size)
    should not be htmld and cssd as if it was a project to impress
    the devil himself. I find it hard to believe you need so many
    style sheets and so many complications. William of Ockham would
    turn in his grave! <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 6, 2010

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mojo <> wrote:

    > Spacing solved - thanks. You actually pointed me in the right
    > direction. There was a duplicate of avs in the style.css.

    Are you sure? There *was* a duplicate of the crucial class in a a
    different and *earlier in the cascading order* stylesheet, but
    the only one which had the height in pixels (240 or so) was in
    style.css. The first instance I saw had height set to auto.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 6, 2010

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Mojo <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 07:51:08 +1100, dorayme <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Mojo <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Spacing solved - thanks. You actually pointed me in the right
    > >> direction. There was a duplicate of avs in the style.css.

    > >Are you sure? There *was* a duplicate of the crucial class in a a
    > >different and *earlier in the cascading order* stylesheet, but
    > >the only one which had the height in pixels (240 or so) was in
    > >style.css. The first instance I saw had height set to auto.

    > Actually - you're technically right but I removed it from style.css.
    >
    > The two css files I can consolidate are inner.css and css.css as they
    > are generated by the same script. Since this is "scrit specific", I
    > removed it from style.css and annoyed that it ever got there in the
    > first place.
    >
    > Many thanks, truly. The only item left is figuring out why the right
    > sides of the middle area has been moved a few pixels out and why the
    > top and bottom of that blue box are split apart. And it's ONLY IE 8...
    > hmmm....

    Have not got good facilities to sort out complicated issues in
    IE, I work on Macs. I might take a look soon but I am less keen
    because of the great complexity of your style sheets, so many!

    Anyway, I might have been a bit hasty in saying how small the
    text is, it is a bit but perhaps I was struck by how whoever did
    your CSS used px units. This is not a very good idea.

    Anyway, here is a screenshot with some comments about what
    happens at just one and two clicks up from my normal text size
    settings. There is text overlapping text and disappearing. Not
    good. At the very least, there should be some payoffs for having
    that many style sheets of such complexity and not so many
    fundamental errors in presentation such as these one which really
    do impinge on usability.

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/justPics/overlaps.png>

    --
    dorayme