Re: J2ME and Mobile Phones.

Discussion in 'Java' started by JasonC, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. JasonC

    JasonC Guest

    What I need to do is have data traffic between two handsets. One
    would ideally be communicating as a [ANSI terminal +
    modem](implemented in Java) and the other would be utilising the
    existing features of the phone to act as a simple hayes modem wired up
    to a device with a remote console port. With this sort of config it
    is already possible to use a [Hyperterminal + Windows + PC + Modem] to
    dial the remote device via the mobile phone and control it. I just
    want to make the whole thing mobile using the handset.

    That way we could remotely manage the device via a mobile phone
    handset. Since most of the management is just option choosing, having
    a limited keyboard such as that on a mobile would be no problem.

    JasonC, Apr 7, 2004

  2. JasonC <> wrote:
    > What I need to do is have data traffic between two handsets. One
    > would ideally be communicating as a [ANSI terminal +
    > modem](implemented in Java) and the other would be utilising the
    > existing features of the phone to act as a simple hayes modem wired up
    > to a device with a remote console port. With this sort of config it
    > is already possible to use a [Hyperterminal + Windows + PC + Modem] to
    > dial the remote device via the mobile phone and control it. I just
    > want to make the whole thing mobile using the handset.

    I guess I just don't see the point of one mobile phone using another
    mobile phone as a modem. From Java you can already have data traffic
    between two handsets; you can use the WMA to send SMS messages between
    handsets that are targeted to specific MIDlets, and you can use either
    datagrams (if both sides have routable IP addresses). But, what you want
    to do wouldn't be possible. As soon as the handset makes a dailup
    connection as you're wanting, it would no longer be available for
    network data; i.e., when the handset makes a dialed call, normally the
    networking portion is lost since the mobile has only one radio.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

    Darryl Pierce, Apr 7, 2004

  3. JasonC

    JasonC Guest

    I think you may have missed the point. We wanted to use 1 mobile with
    java engine to act as a terminal+modem. With this we could dial any
    ANSI based service whether it was a modem, a router or whatever,
    mobile or fixed line. In the scheme of things it probably doesn't
    matter what the other end is as long as it could accept a terminal
    based data call. It could be a management port on a router or
    whatever. So what we actually want to do is run terminal software on
    the client mobile and dial up devices which are connected to the
    mobile network.

    I also added that the other end would have a mobile phone plugged into
    the device via a data cable and its only purpose would be to act as a
    GSM modem.

    I have considered just using SMS to send messages to the other phone
    but this would require more software and hardware at the other end to
    decode the sms messages into information suitable for the device.

    JasonC, Apr 8, 2004
  4. JasonC wrote:

    > I think you may have missed the point. We wanted to use 1 mobile with
    > java engine to act as a terminal+modem. With this we could dial any
    > ANSI based service whether it was a modem, a router or whatever,
    > mobile or fixed line. In the scheme of things it probably doesn't
    > matter what the other end is as long as it could accept a terminal
    > based data call. It could be a management port on a router or
    > whatever. So what we actually want to do is run terminal software on
    > the client mobile and dial up devices which are connected to the
    > mobile network.

    Okay, let me make sure I understand then. You want to have a MIDlet that is
    a simple dumb terminal that sends all keystrokes to the radio as if it were
    a Hayes compatible modem. Right?

    > I also added that the other end would have a mobile phone plugged into
    > the device via a data cable and its only purpose would be to act as a
    > GSM modem.
    >
    > I have considered just using SMS to send messages to the other phone
    > but this would require more software and hardware at the other end to
    > decode the sms messages into information suitable for the device.

    If both ends are phones that have the WMA APIs (my Motorola V400, for
    example, supports WMA) then you need no extra hardware to interpret the SMS
    messages. You would be able to send data however you wish to encode it from
    one handset to another.

    Darryl L. Pierce, Apr 8, 2004
  5. JasonC

    JasonC Guest

    Thats right you have it exactly!!! I am looking for a MIDlet that can
    act as a simple ANSI dumb terminal sending and receiving text directly
    from the phone its running on (using the phone radio tranceiver as a
    simple hayes modem). This would allow us to dial from the mobile (in
    a data call) other devices which have normal modems attached to them
    and communicate with them on a text based terminal protocol. This
    would run in a single session in one call session, just as if I had a
    std PC, hyperterminal and a modem; except its all running on the
    mobile phone handset.

    I want to find a solution which involves least amount of work. At
    this point its easier I expect to develop a JAVA MIDlet for the phone,
    rather than go around and upgrade all our remote devices with mobiles
    and complicated software so we can get two way SMS if what I am
    proposing is possible. Some of the devices don't even have mobiles
    attached anyway and who knows what reception is like in these areas.

    JasonC, Apr 9, 2004
  6. JasonC wrote:

    > Thats right you have it exactly!!! I am looking for a MIDlet that can
    > act as a simple ANSI dumb terminal sending and receiving text directly
    > from the phone its running on (using the phone radio tranceiver as a
    > simple hayes modem). <snip>

    Good luck. I know of no device which gives you access from Java to the radio
    in such a fashion. The closest I know of are the Motorola iDEN phones which
    allow you to connect the phone to a PC via serial cable and dial the phone
    using Hayes commands.

    Darryl L. Pierce, Apr 11, 2004