Re: James Kuyper of Microsoft: "Linux has many disadvantages"

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Robin T Cox, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. Robin T Cox

    Robin T Cox Guest

    Screw Bill wrote:

    > James Kuyper, M$ spokesman:
    >
    > "I think an objective assessment reveals that Linux has many disadvantages
    > in terms of market viability. One of the biggest disadvantages is the
    > apparent unwillingness on the part of the Linux development community
    > to take into account certain demographics, in particular the less tech
    > savvy of computer users. Certainly not everybody has the time and
    > inclination to learn the innards of an operating system in order to be
    > able to use it day by day and get things done."


    The last sentence is undoubtedly true. Which is why it is so puzzling that
    Microsoft themselves seem to ignore this fact.

    On the sites that 'less tech savvy' people use, we seem to get so many
    requests for help from desperate Microsoft users who can't seem to
    understand why their Microsoft systems don't work, and who don't know what
    to do about it.

    To name but two that I visit on a regular basis:

    uk.people.silversurfers (on Usenet)

    and

    MoneySavingExpert.com at:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=29

    Although there are many Linux users who also visit sites like these, you
    just don't get many of them having as many problems. And it isn't because
    Linux users are more tech savvy on the whole, but because Microsoft users'
    systems are deliberately obscured from them by a proprietary company that
    wants to keep its 'secrets' concealed from users.

    Of course, it suits Microsoft down the the ground to assume that most
    computer users not only cannot, but will not, understand how their systems
    work so that they can fix them themselves. That's how Microsoft can
    continue to maintain their power.

    But they really should learn from history. Before the Reformation the
    Catholic Church also assumed that no-one but priests were capable of
    reading or understanding the Bible, and persecuted anyone who tried to
    publish vernacular translations. Nobody believes such tosh any more.

    --
    Facts are sacred ... but comment is free
     
    Robin T Cox, Feb 3, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Robin T Cox

    jacob navia Guest

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > Screw Bill wrote:
    >
    >> James Kuyper, M$ spokesman:
    >>
    >> "I think an objective assessment reveals that Linux has many disadvantages
    >> in terms of market viability. One of the biggest disadvantages is the
    >> apparent unwillingness on the part of the Linux development community
    >> to take into account certain demographics, in particular the less tech
    >> savvy of computer users. Certainly not everybody has the time and
    >> inclination to learn the innards of an operating system in order to be
    >> able to use it day by day and get things done."

    >


    If that statement of fact makes Mr Kuyper a Microsoft spokesman, let's
    make it two, since I subscribe completely to that sentence.


    --
    jacob navia
    jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr
    logiciels/informatique
    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
     
    jacob navia, Feb 3, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. jacob navia <> writes:

    > Robin T Cox wrote:

    <snip provocative post with deceptive followups>
    > If that statement of fact makes Mr Kuyper a Microsoft spokesman, let's
    > make it two, since I subscribe completely to that sentence.


    Did you see the headers? I think we should all take extra care these
    days since there have been quite a few of these posts recently. The
    first purpose is simply to elicit a reply from someone who does not
    spot the followups-to header and then any extra replies (yes, I know
    this one counts too) are just a bonus.

    --
    Ben.
     
    Ben Bacarisse, Feb 3, 2009
    #3
  4. Robin T Cox

    Default User Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:


    > The original post was flame-bait


    Get with the program. This is another of the troll posts to another
    group with follow-ups set to CLC.




    Brian
     
    Default User, Feb 3, 2009
    #4
  5. Robin T Cox

    Kaz Kylheku Guest

    On 2009-02-03, jacob navia <> wrote:
    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >> Screw Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> James Kuyper, M$ spokesman:
    >>>
    >>> "I think an objective assessment reveals that Linux has many disadvantages
    >>> in terms of market viability. One of the biggest disadvantages is the
    >>> apparent unwillingness on the part of the Linux development community
    >>> to take into account certain demographics, in particular the less tech
    >>> savvy of computer users. Certainly not everybody has the time and
    >>> inclination to learn the innards of an operating system in order to be
    >>> able to use it day by day and get things done."

    >>

    >
    > If that statement of fact makes Mr Kuyper a Microsoft spokesman, let's
    > make it two, since I subscribe completely to that sentence.


    I also generally agree with the sentence, except maybe with how it paints an
    entire heterogeneous development community with the same brush.

    Am I a Microsoft spokesman?

    I currently work as a kernel developer, and maintainer of a from-scratch
    embedded Linux toolchain + distro.

    I've used Linux continuously since 1993.
     
    Kaz Kylheku, Feb 4, 2009
    #5
  6. Robin T Cox

    Default User Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:

    > Default User wrote:
    > > Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > > The original post was flame-bait

    > >
    > > Get with the program.

    >
    > Did you read what I wrote?


    Yeah. You replied to person who read the original in a different group
    and wouldn't see your reply. Exactly what use was it?




    Brian
     
    Default User, Feb 4, 2009
    #6
  7. On 4 Feb 2009 at 0:12, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
    >>>> James Kuyper, M$ spokesman:
    >>>> "I think an objective assessment reveals that Linux has many
    >>>> disadvantages in terms of market viability. One of the biggest
    >>>> disadvantages is the apparent unwillingness on the part of the
    >>>> Linux development community to take into account certain
    >>>> demographics, in particular the less tech savvy of computer users.

    >
    > I also generally agree with the sentence,


    Surely it depends what "market" is meant!

    > except maybe with how it paints an entire heterogeneous development
    > community with the same brush.


    Exactly. There are plenty of Linux developers who want to make graphical
    whizz-bangs that your granny could use.
     
    Antoninus Twink, Feb 4, 2009
    #7
  8. Robin T Cox

    James Kuyper Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > Default User wrote:
    >> You replied to person who read the original in a different group

    >
    > I neither know nor care where he read the orginal. He posted his comment
    > in clc.


    He probably didn't do it deliberately.

    > > and wouldn't see your reply.

    >
    > You assume this, but have no evidence for it.


    The fact that the original message was posted to one group with
    follow-ups sent here strikes me as pretty good evidence for that
    conclusion. People often fail to notice re-direction, even sometimes
    when it's explicitly mentioned in the message they're responding to.
    That's not proof, but it makes it pretty likely that this person
    monitors only the original newsgroup, and not this one.

    >> Exactly what use was it?

    >
    > If you want to go /there/, what use pray was your post?


    To remind you that c.l.c is under attack, and that you should be on the
    lookout for messages that were posted here unintentionally. That's
    something that would not be achieved by posting /there/.
     
    James Kuyper, Feb 5, 2009
    #8
  9. Robin T Cox

    Default User Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:

    > You assume this, but have no evidence for it.


    I'm sure you're right.



    Brian

    --
    Day 2 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
     
    Default User, Feb 5, 2009
    #9
  10. Robin T Cox

    Richard Guest

    "Default User" <> writes:

    > Mark McIntyre wrote:
    >
    >> You assume this, but have no evidence for it.

    >
    > I'm sure you're right.
    >
    >
    >
    > Brian


    Bwian, the white space and your name is part of your .sig. Kindly place
    it there.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block

    .....
     
    Richard, Feb 5, 2009
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Charles A. Lackman
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,376
    smith
    Dec 8, 2004
  2. SpamProof
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    584
    SpamProof
    Oct 21, 2003
  3. Lokesh
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,407
    Lokesh
    Aug 20, 2003
  4. Grago

    JAMES sizing

    Grago, Nov 3, 2003, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    403
    Grago
    Nov 3, 2003
  5. Jerry McBride
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    325
    Phil Carmody
    Feb 3, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page