Re: java and goto instuction! amazing!

Discussion in 'Java' started by E.C. Bäck, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. E.C. Bäck

    E.C. Bäck Guest

    "Amir Pashazadeh" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody,
    > I decompiled a class file (using 3 different decompilers for accurancy),

    and
    > every time I got the same source code, there is something amazing in it,

    it
    > has "goto" instruction! how can it be?
    > does JVM (as executor) supports "goto" instruction, but no standard

    compiler
    > supports it yet? so a custom compiler can use it?

    Well, you haven't actually decompiled anything, you know. Decompilers
    produce source code, not opcodes. What you have done is translate the
    opcodes to their english names, and their arguments as well.

    Like many others have said, goto is just a jumping instruction, critical in
    both branching, looping, but also in method invocation. Java does reserve
    the goto keyword, although it is not implemented. Thus, goto is a part of
    java, albeit a nominal and useless one.
    --
    Elliott
    E.C. Bäck, Aug 25, 2003