Re: Java & Databases

Discussion in 'Java' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andree_Gro=DFe?=, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Scamps wrote:
    > Hi, I haven't touched Java in a couple of years & my previous experience
    > wasn't too in depth. I am currently creating a web application which will be
    > in the form of a java applet. My applet will need to connect to a database
    > in order to function correctly. Ideally I'd like my applet to be able to
    > work with any database (Access, Oracle, MySQL). The initial development
    > shall be for an Access database. The biggest problem I'm going to encounter
    > as far as the database is concerned is in finding a web hosting service that
    > will support whichever type of database I use. But future developments will
    > be required to work with any database application. What I need from this
    > newsgroup is some advice on whether or not Java will co-operate with all of
    > the 3 above mentioned database applications if so, is there 1 database
    > application more suitable than the others? or will Java communicate equally
    > well with all? Also if anyone can please recommend a book or website
    > tutorial which may help me to develop this product I'd be very grateful.

    Don't use JDBC Connection inside an Applet directly.
    Change your design and use servlets to handle database
    activity and use Applet only to view the result and
    to get input of user. Then the Applet communicates with
    the servlet only.

    A.G.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andree_Gro=DFe?=, Jun 30, 2003