Re: Java deprecated on Mac - Potential Replacement? wx4j/WXWidgets?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Arne Vajhøj, Nov 12, 2010.

  1. Arne Vajhøj

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12-11-2010 17:48, Steve Sobol wrote:
    > http://wx4j.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > So, what do you guys think about developing Mac apps using wx4j, wxWidgets and OpenJDK?
    >
    > wxWidgets is a C++ cross-platform GUI toolkit. It's written in C++. wx4j provides Java bindings for the wxWidgets library.

    I think you should continue to just use Java as usual.

    This just came out:
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/12openjdk.html

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 12, 2010

  2. "Steve Sobol" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:39:30 -0500
    > Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 12-11-2010 17:48, Steve Sobol wrote:
    >> > http://wx4j.sourceforge.net/
    >> >
    >> > So, what do you guys think about developing Mac apps using wx4j,
    >> > wxWidgets and OpenJDK?
    >> >
    >> > wxWidgets is a C++ cross-platform GUI toolkit. It's written in C++.
    >> > wx4j provides Java bindings for the wxWidgets library.

    >> I think you should continue to just use Java as usual.
    >>
    >> This just came out:
    >> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/12openjdk.html

    > Outstanding. Kudos to both Apple and Oracle.
    >
    > Good thing, too, because after some more research, I've found that the
    > wx4j project has basically been dead since 2004. Obviously, I was a bit
    > premature in suggesting that people use it. :)

    Premature, or post-mortem? :)

    Mike Schilling, Nov 13, 2010

  3. Arne Vajhøj

    markspace Guest

    On 11/12/2010 3:39 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 12-11-2010 17:48, Steve Sobol wrote:
    >> http://wx4j.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> So, what do you guys think about developing Mac apps using wx4j,
    >> wxWidgets and OpenJDK?
    >>
    >> wxWidgets is a C++ cross-platform GUI toolkit. It's written in C++.
    >> wx4j provides Java bindings for the wxWidgets library.

    > I think you should continue to just use Java as usual.
    >
    > This just came out:
    > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/12openjdk.html
    >
    > Arne

    Apple isn't the only one:

    <http://www.oracle.com/dm/11q1field/60272_java_developer_newsletter.html?msgid=3-2704479751>

    markspace, Nov 13, 2010
  4. Arne Vajhøj

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 13-11-2010 14:06, markspace wrote:
    > On 11/12/2010 3:39 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 12-11-2010 17:48, Steve Sobol wrote:
    >>> http://wx4j.sourceforge.net/
    >>>
    >>> So, what do you guys think about developing Mac apps using wx4j,
    >>> wxWidgets and OpenJDK?
    >>>
    >>> wxWidgets is a C++ cross-platform GUI toolkit. It's written in C++.
    >>> wx4j provides Java bindings for the wxWidgets library.

    >> I think you should continue to just use Java as usual.
    >>
    >> This just came out:
    >> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/11/12openjdk.html

    > Apple isn't the only one:
    >
    > <http://www.oracle.com/dm/11q1field/60272_java_developer_newsletter.html?msgid=3-2704479751>

    But there is a difference.

    I don't think IBM will be giving up their own Java.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 14, 2010
  5. Arne Vajhøj

    markspace Guest

    On 11/13/2010 6:53 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > But there is a difference.
    >
    > I don't think IBM will be giving up their own Java.

    Well, true there were no explicit donations of code or technology
    mentioned. But I'd kinda expect that if IBM joins, they plan to donate
    something, eventually.

    markspace, Nov 14, 2010
  6. Arne Vajhøj

    Lew Guest

    On 11/13/2010 10:08 PM, markspace wrote:
    > On 11/13/2010 6:53 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >
    >> But there is a difference.
    >>
    >> I don't think IBM will be giving up their own Java.

    > Well, true there were no explicit donations of code or technology
    > mentioned. But I'd kinda expect that if IBM joins, they plan to donate
    > something, eventually.

    <http://www.oracle.com/goto/newsletters/javadev/1110/blogs_sun_openjdk.html>
    tells us
    > IBM engineers will soon be working directly alongside Oracle engineers,
    > as well as many other contributors, on the Java SE Platform reference
    > implementation — starting with JDK 7.
    > I expect IBM’s engineers to contribute primarily to the class libraries,

    Lew

    Lew, Nov 14, 2010
  7. On 14-11-2010 13:27, Lew wrote:
    > On 11/13/2010 10:08 PM, markspace wrote:
    >> On 11/13/2010 6:53 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>
    >>> But there is a difference.
    >>>
    >>> I don't think IBM will be giving up their own Java.

    >> Well, true there were no explicit donations of code or technology
    >> mentioned. But I'd kinda expect that if IBM joins, they plan to donate
    >> something, eventually.

    > <http://www.oracle.com/goto/newsletters/javadev/1110/blogs_sun_openjdk.html>
    >
    > tells us
    >> IBM engineers will soon be working directly alongside Oracle engineers,
    >> as well as many other contributors, on the Java SE Platform reference
    >> implementation — starting with JDK 7.
    >> I expect IBM’s engineers to contribute primarily to the class libraries,

    IBM has an interest in 7 getting out of the door.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 15, 2010