Re: java.lang.VerifyError running Eclipse project

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lew, Sep 22, 2011.

  1. Lew

    Lew Guest

    Qu0ll wrote:
    > I am getting the following error when I run my Eclipse RCP application:
    >
    > java.lang.VerifyError: (class: com/mybiz/myproj/model/ResultsModel, method:
    > buildModel signature:
    > (Ljava/lang/String;Lcom/mybiz/myproj/search/DocumentType;Z)Ljava/util/List;)
    > Incompatible argument to function
    >
    > which I don't comprehend. The actual signature for the buildModel() method
    > is:
    >
    > List<String> buildModel(String, DocumentType, boolean)
    >
    > so it seems to have lost the boolean 3rd parameter unless that's what the Z
    > indicates in the error? I only added this boolean parameter recently.
    >
    > What could be causing this error? Figuring it's a stale class definition
    > floating around somewhere I have done a clean and build but it hasn't
    > helped.
    >
    > Curiously, this method references a class from another Eclipse plug-in of
    > mine and if I comment out references to that class then I don't get the
    > error (although the code doesn't work of course!). So why would referencing
    > a foreign class somewhere in the method definition cause Java to think that
    > the signature of the method is wrong?
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Looks like 'ResultsModel' in the link to the unnamed client is an out-of-date version.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Sep 22, 2011

  2. Lew

    Lew Guest

    On Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:23:43 AM UTC-7, Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Lew" wrote in message
    >
    > > Looks like 'ResultsModel' in the link to the unnamed client is an
    > > out-of-date version.

    > My guess as well but I can't see how this is possible given that I even
    > deleted the "bin" directory of all Eclipse projects involved. I think it's
    > an Eclipse caching bug but I don't know how to resolve it.

    Try the build from the command line.

    Are the client and service classes in the same project? If not, are inter-project dependencies set in Eclipse? Did you rebuild both projects?

    If there are two projects, it is often best to make the library project (the one in the build path of the other) emit a JAR, and use the JAR in the dependent project.

    Search from the command line for all ".class" files using something like the UNIX (Cygwin) "find"; that should pre-empt anything Eclipse is trying under the hood.

    Make sure you "refrech" your Eclipse projects.

    I don't know about RCP projects, but enterprise Java projects are of similar complexity and there are all sorts of intermediate places in those where an out-of-date ".class" file can linger, between server directories and staging directories and temporary directories and what-all.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Sep 22, 2011