Re: Java NewsNet

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andreas Leitgeb, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Kenneth P. Turvey <> wrote:
    >> Agreed. But I'm also sick of TV comercials ;)

    > Yeah.. and technology really is solving that one... DVRs are the bane of
    > advertiser driven TV.

    Technology is also un-solving that one, by producing devices that just
    refuse to record a program based on some flag eventually present in the
    broadcast.

    > Honestly, I don't think this is an issue. The real problem is being able
    > to group posts into a group of "known posters" and "unknown posters".
    > Authentication can handle this problem without revealing anything at all
    > about the poster except that poster's history.

    My glassball shows a fork in the road ahead:
    route 1, where people will still view unknown-poster's articles,
    and which looks remarkably like current situation. (It's not
    really harder now to identify any of the imposter's bs than
    it would be to test the signature.)
    route 2, where each one filters out all but a few, and never gets
    into temptation to answer a newbie's questions, just because he
    never gets to see any ... hmm, rather boring, innit?

    Andreas Leitgeb, Aug 6, 2008

  2. Andreas Leitgeb

    Wojtek Guest

    Kenneth P. Turvey wrote :
    > The idea would be to make it easy to switch
    > to a "Moderator" mode where all messages, or possibly a wider variety of
    > messages, would be visible for moderation.

    Slashdot removes moderation when a user posts a message other than as
    anonymous.

    And has trusted meta-moderators who can "adjust" moderation.

    More and more it sounds like you want to implement Slashdot except that
    new threads (stories) could be added by anyone.

    --
    Wojtek :)

    Wojtek, Aug 6, 2008

  3. Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:03:10 +0000, Wojtek wrote:
    >
    >> Slashdot removes moderation when a user posts a message other than as
    >> anonymous.
    >>
    >> And has trusted meta-moderators who can "adjust" moderation.
    >>
    >> More and more it sounds like you want to implement Slashdot except that
    >> new threads (stories) could be added by anyone.

    > I also want people to be able to pick their own moderators and for
    > moderators to volunteer their services without any overhead.

    RGB

    RedGrittyBrick, Sep 15, 2008