Re: Java script, icons, html transitional, css and tables.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. > In any event, if that page is going to assert that consumers feel more
    > comfortable when they see the page is served over https ... I'm not
    > buying. Consumers that won't make a purchase online over https due to
    > security concerns aren't likely to be relieved because every page is
    > served over https.

    Of course, it is possible that consumers in the USA would react in a total
    different way.
    But, I suppose that at least some people appreciate che a site is served
    over https.
    One question about https, by the way. I
    let install a certificate from GeoTrust for the website
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com

    If I understand it properly, this certificate is made by Equifax for
    GeoTrust,
    isn´t it?
    Do you think that it is a good one?
    (See thread Re: SSL questions
    at alt.php)

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/de/schuhe-artikel-1169.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 2, 2005

    > > In any event, if that page is going to assert that consumers feel more
    > > comfortable when they see the page is served over https ... I'm not
    > > buying. Consumers that won't make a purchase online over https due to
    > > security concerns aren't likely to be relieved because every page is
    > > served over https.

    Of course, it is possible that consumers in the USA would react in a total
    different way.
    But, I suppose that at least some people appreciate that a site is served

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 2, 2005

  3. "Joel Shepherd" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    > > > No, I mean it is worth considering encrypting some of the data that is
    > > > in the database.

    > > What is the best way to encrypt them?
    > > SSL again?

    > There are a number of data encryption schemes. SSL is a protocol for
    > transmitting data securely, but it's not a scheme to encrypt data
    > persistently. Blowfish, DES and PGP are examples of schemes to actually
    > encrypt data. You could, for example, pass a credit card number through
    > a Blowfish algorithm and get another piece of data (the encrypted
    > number) to store in your database.
    >
    > > But you do not improve things if you do not consider it.

    > Sure. But movement should not be confused with progress. :)

    Can you recommend any sites and/or books about Blowfish, DES and PGP?

    No, movement shouldn´t be confused with progress.
    Let´s put things this way:
    1) If the user prefers to navigate on the pages of the website which are
    served over the
    http protocol he can do that,
    except for some pages which are served only over the https protocol because
    they contain sensitive or very sensitive data
    2) If the user wants to navigate on the pages which are served over the
    https protocol, he can also do it!
    So, I do not see any disadvantage to serve a page over both protocols except
    for some pages which should be served only over https.

    In fact, the user has also an advantage. He can choose to navigate on the
    whole site over https.
    In this case, he will not receive any warning saying that he will be
    transferred to a page which is not safe....
    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote

    > But, I suppose that at least some people appreciate che a site is served
    > over https.

    I most certainly would *not*. Waste of bandwidth.

    HTTPS completely destroys any caching that may be going on. slowing the site
    down considerably. Being on the other side of the planet this is quite
    important to me.

    If every site out there used HTTPS then the internet as we know it would
    grind to a complete halt.

    Besides, as soon as I see the "you are entering a secure page" I immediately
    look for the stuff that must be "secured". If there were none then I would
    become quite suspicious of your motives.

    I really think you are barking up the wrong tree with all this security
    stuff you have drifted off into.

    As I and others have said nobody is going to wait around for a TCP/IP packet
    from your server[1] to intercept and change. It is *far* easier to simply
    hack into the server itself and if you don't have security on your database
    and the stuff that people can feed into your server side scripts then that
    is just what is going to happen.

    [1] It does not matter a rats tail if it is your server or your hosts
    server. If your server side script contains a hole then that hole will
    probably be exploited, sooner or later. Probably sooner. And, it is most
    definately not your hosts responsibility to ensure the security of *your*
    scripts.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 2, 2005
  5. "rf" <rf@.invalid> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote
    >
    > > But, I suppose that at least some people appreciate che a site is served
    > > over https.

    > I most certainly would *not*. Waste of bandwidth.
    >
    > HTTPS completely destroys any caching that may be going on. slowing the

    site
    > down considerably. Being on the other side of the planet this is quite
    > important to me.
    >
    > If every site out there used HTTPS then the internet as we know it would
    > grind to a complete halt.
    >
    > Besides, as soon as I see the "you are entering a secure page" I

    immediately
    > look for the stuff that must be "secured". If there were none then I would
    > become quite suspicious of your motives.
    >
    > I really think you are barking up the wrong tree with all this security
    > stuff you have drifted off into.
    >
    > As I and others have said nobody is going to wait around for a TCP/IP

    packet
    > from your server[1] to intercept and change. It is *far* easier to simply
    > hack into the server itself and if you don't have security on your

    database
    > and the stuff that people can feed into your server side scripts then that
    > is just what is going to happen.
    >
    > [1] It does not matter a rats tail if it is your server or your hosts
    > server. If your server side script contains a hole then that hole will
    > probably be exploited, sooner or later. Probably sooner. And, it is most
    > definately not your hosts responsibility to ensure the security of *your*
    > scripts.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Dear Rf
    you are entitled to have your opinion but I do not share it.
    1) So far I am not interested so much in users visiting my website from
    other continents
    because I cannot sell them my services and wares at the moment.
    I would need know much more about the legislation of the countries these
    consumers are resident in to be able to sell them my services and wares.
    The distance among EU countries is not so long.
    As
    a result of that, your argument about bandwith is not relevant.
    2) Your argument about bandwith is not relevant for several other reasons:
    a) Most of my pages are in Swedish because I live in Sweden and in Sweden
    there are relatively many people using broadband. Some of them may even have
    a connection of about 100 Megabytes! Many have a connection of at least 0,5
    Megabyte.
    This is another reason why your
    argument about bandwith is not relevant
    b) I also offer the chance to the user to visit most pages on http if he or
    she wants to and that is the third reason why I think that your remark is
    not relevant, He or she can choose whether to visit the pages over http or
    https.
    c) I am interested to do my best to fulfil the legal requirements which
    regard e-commerce and I think that the use of https helps to do that.
    3) About scripts.
    It is good to know that you would be specifically interested to have
    a look at my scripts, although there are so many websites on the
    internet.... may-be you dislike my website so much that you want to visit it
    very often....and that although you have to use a large ( in your opinion)
    bandwidth. That sounds interesting!
    I did not know that I (and/or my website) was so popular...
    Of course, I am interested to use safe scripts (if I use them). That has
    nothing to do with https and I am not supposed to be the only one who should
    be interested in that, in my opinion.
    So, I find that even what you write about script is no reason not to use
    https...
    But you are free not to use https yourself if you do not want to!!!!!!

    Happy new Year!

    Best regards
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote

    > But you are free not to use https yourself if you do not want to!!!!!!

    <bangs head against wall/>

    It is obviously bloody pointless even conversing with you. Anything at all
    that is said that you don't agree with you come up with "I don't share that
    opinion". Well you can take your opinion and shouve it.

    > Happy new Year!

    Bah humbug.
    rf, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > <bangs head against wall/>

    First Bonnie now Luigi. Time to take a brake.

    --
    D?
    If it ain't broken fix it anyway.
    Duende, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    "Duende" <> wrote
    > While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
    >
    > > <bangs head against wall/>

    > First Bonnie now Luigi.

    Nope. Bonnie was only worth a desk bang :)

    Besides Bonnie actually learned something out of the exercise and made IHMO
    a considerable improvement to her site.

    I doubt if Luigi will ever learn anything here, it's all against his
    opinion.

    > Time to take a brake.

    You're right. A nice quiet afternoon ale. We're just about to light the
    barbie to blacken a few snags.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 3, 2005
  9. rf wrote:

    > Nope. Bonnie was only worth a desk bang :)

    Well, there's an interesting image... :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 3, 2005
  10. [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    Hello,
    I have noticed that there are many partecipants in this NG who come from
    Australia.
    May I ask you whether any of you regards himself or herself as an aborigen?
    Do aborigens have an own identity in Australia nowadays?
    Thank you very much in advance for your answers.
    Best regards
    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 5, 2005
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    Previously in alt.html, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> said:

    > Hello,

    G'day.

    > I have noticed that there are many partecipants in this NG who come from
    > Australia.

    Yep, can't keep us away.

    > May I ask you whether any of you regards himself or herself as an aborigen?

    Aborigine. And, no. Not me.

    > Do aborigens have an own identity in Australia nowadays?

    Not sure what you mean by that.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jan 5, 2005
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    Re: [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

    >> May I ask you whether any of you regards himself or herself as an
    >> aborigen?

    > Aborigine. And, no. Not me.

    Ah, so you have a few skeletons in your family closet.

    Duende, Jan 5, 2005
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Previously in alt.html, Duende <> said:

    > Ah, so you have a few skeletons in your family closet.

    No, both my parents are purebred Brits. Sorry to disappoint. :)

    Mark Parnell, Jan 5, 2005
  14. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    Re: [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

    >> Ah, so you have a few skeletons in your family closet.

    > No, both my parents are purebred Brits. Sorry to disappoint. :)

    That's not very interesting. :(

    Duende, Jan 5, 2005
  15. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    Previously in alt.html, Duende <> said:

    > That's not very interesting. :(

    My wife's family are much more interesting. No Aborigines as far as we
    know, but various other nationalities, mostly on her Dad's side. On her
    mum's side, we can trace her family tree back to the first convicts that
    came out here. No skeletons though.

    Mark Parnell, Jan 5, 2005
  16. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    Re: [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

    > Previously in alt.html, Duende <> said:
    >
    >> That's not very interesting. :(

    > My wife's family are much more interesting. No Aborigines as far as we
    > know, but various other nationalities, mostly on her Dad's side. On her
    > mum's side, we can trace her family tree back to the first convicts that
    > came out here. No skeletons though.

    Convicts = skeletons. My grandfather was convicted of stealing a horse but
    before they could hang him he broke out of prison & went to Panama. That was
    the last anybody heard of him.

    Duende, Jan 5, 2005
  17. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Re: [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    Previously in alt.html, Duende <> said:

    > Convicts = skeletons. My grandfather was convicted of stealing a horse but
    > before they could hang him he broke out of prison & went to Panama. That was
    > the last anybody heard of him.

    My wife's great(times something) grandfather was convicted of "stealing
    a gentleman's coat" - IIRC his father was a minister, and he was bored
    during a service, so he went for a walk and grabbed the wrong coat. Got
    sent out here as punishment. Eventually got his freedom and a land
    grant.

    Mark Parnell, Jan 5, 2005
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    Re: [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

    > so he went for a walk and grabbed the wrong coat.

    Sure, just an accident :(
    How fast was he running when they caught him. :)

    Duende, Jan 5, 2005
  19. Re: [OT] The identity of aborigens in Australia

    "Mark Parnell" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Previously in alt.html, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> said:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > G'day.
    >
    > > I have noticed that there are many partecipants in this NG who come from
    > > Australia.

    > Yep, can't keep us away.
    >
    > > May I ask you whether any of you regards himself or herself as an

    aborigen?

    > Aborigine. And, no. Not me.
    >
    > > Do aborigens have an own identity in Australia nowadays?

    > Not sure what you mean by that.

    There was a program on BBC World a while ago on which I watched
    (on the 3rd of January, I think)
    "Hard talk" was its name, as far as I remember and they talked about
    aborigens as well.
    That reminded me of many things I knew about Australia.
    I had many pen-friends who lived there.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 5, 2005