Re: Java singletonMap in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Lawrence, Sep 24, 2012.

  1. On 24/09/2012 20:22, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
    > On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    >> Purely for fun I've been porting some code to Python and came across the
    >> singletonMap[1]. I'm aware that there are loads of recipes on the web for
    >> both singletons e.g.[2] and immutable dictionaries e.g.[3]. I was wondering
    >> how to combine any of the recipes to produce the best implementation

    > The word "singleton" usually means "thing with only one item". For
    > example, {a} is a singleton set containing only a, and with matrices,
    > any dimension of size one is called a singleton dimension, and so on.
    > In this case, a singleton map is a map with only one key-value pair,
    > such as {a:b}.
    >
    > The singleton design antipattern is not relevant here.
    >
    > -- Devin

    Java thinks so otherwise there wouldn't also be the singleton which is
    the spelling for singletonSet (don't ask me!!!) and a singletonList.
    From the Python viewpoint I think YAGNI is perfect. I now understand
    why the BDFL and others fight so hard to keep bloatware out of the
    standard library.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.