Re: Java solution vs porting code from X/Motif to Windows

Discussion in 'Java' started by Harald Hein, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Harald Hein

    Harald Hein Guest

    "Christian" wrote:

    > I have to port a project from Unix with GUI X/Motif to Windows
    > environment.

    Motif is a horrible GUI API, so don't expect to find much of a GUI
    architecture in the existing code. I would guess that you will have to
    re-architecture and re-implement the GUI from scratch.

    > The source code is written in C and ...Fortran and the GUI is
    > X/Motif.

    Java is a good alternative if you can afford a complete re-write, not
    only of the GUI part but of everything. If you have to re-use as much
    existing code as possible, then get a C and FORTRAN compiler for
    Windows. Make sure they have compatible function calling conventions.
    Professional Unix compilers are much better at calling something
    written in another language than the Windows stuff.

    Harald Hein, Jul 22, 2003