    supportedness of Java? 90% of users? 99% of users?

    Best regards,
    Andrew
    Andrew, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Andrew

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 02:47:58 GMT, "Andrew" <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Hi everyone -

    G'day.

    > I am considering putting some Java in my page -- in particular, an
    > occasional popup window to answer a question linked on the page.

    1) It's not Java, it's JavaScript. They are totally unrelated. Google
    for the difference.

    2) If I want a new window (or tab) opened, I will do it myself. Thank
    you for your consideration.

    > My question is, will the use of Java alienate many web surfers? What is the
    > supportedness of Java? 90% of users? 99% of users?

    3) See 1)

    4) There is no way of knowing how many people use browsers with
    JavaScript disabled, or that don't support Javascript. Most estimates
    say that around 15% have it disabled/unavailable. Don't use it for
    essential aspects of your site (e.g. navigation), and it won't be an
    issue.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>I am considering putting some Java in my page -- in particular, an
    >>occasional popup window to answer a question linked on the page.

    > 1) It's not Java, it's JavaScript. They are totally unrelated. Google
    > for the difference.

    How do you know the OP is talking about JavaScript and not Java?
    Assuming that any mention of Java is really a mention of JavaScript is
    the same mistake you're trying to correct.
    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Andrew

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:21:30 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <>
    declared in alt.html:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>
    >> 1) It's not Java, it's JavaScript. They are totally unrelated. Google
    >> for the difference.

    > How do you know the OP is talking about JavaScript and not Java?
    > Assuming that any mention of Java is really a mention of JavaScript is
    > the same mistake you're trying to correct.

    OK, I'm making an assumption, but I would be willing to bet I'm right.
    Popups are usually done with JavaScript, not Java.

    Mark Parnell, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Andrew

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <yRGPb.1852$>,
    says...
    > I am considering putting some Java in my page -- in particular, an
    > occasional popup window to answer a question linked on the page.

    Interesting, I probably would just use a hidden div that un-hides when
    you mouse over the link or something similar. But it can be done with a
    Java applet too. Just seems a little over kill

    > My question is, will the use of Java alienate many web surfers? What is the
    > supportedness of Java? 90% of users? 99% of users?

    Probably a little less than those with javascript turned off. If they
    don't allow Javascript I would guess they don't allow activeX or Java
    applets either.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Andrew

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <h3k11mkdgn8a$>,
    says...
    > > I am considering putting some Java in my page -- in particular, an
    > > occasional popup window to answer a question linked on the page.

    > 1) It's not Java, it's JavaScript. They are totally unrelated. Google
    > for the difference.

    He may be talking about an applet. It is not clear.

    > 4) There is no way of knowing how many people use browsers with
    > JavaScript disabled...

    Actually for your own site, it would be easy to tell exactly how many
    have Javascript turned off or on. Have the first line of the page be to
    redirect via javascript. Then the page you redirected to also redirects
    to the "final" page. Then count the page hits to the second page.
    Using 3 pages, you virtually eliminate the error of someone copying the
    link and sending it to someone that does not use Javascript so they
    could hit the page.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Andrew

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <4iuxr853v60b$>,
    says...
    > > How do you know the OP is talking about JavaScript and not Java?
    > > Assuming that any mention of Java is really a mention of JavaScript is
    > > the same mistake you're trying to correct.

    > OK, I'm making an assumption, but I would be willing to bet I'm right.
    > Popups are usually done with JavaScript, not Java.

    When I read it I assumed he was talking about poping up a java applet,
    and even commented I thought it was a little over kill.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Mark was correct - I was talking about javascript. As you can see, I know a
    lot about this topic.

    -Andrew

    ps hidden div that unhides is a neat idea to me - thanks.
    Andrew, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Andrew

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:59:21 GMT, "Andrew" <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Mark was correct -

    Was there ever any doubt? ;-)

    > I was talking about javascript. As you can see, I know a
    > lot about this topic.

    Recognising you know nothing is the first step.

    > ps hidden div that unhides is a neat idea to me - thanks.

    Just make sure it is visible by default, and hidden by the Javascript,
    so that anyone with Javascript disabled/unavailable can still access it.

    Mark Parnell, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Andrew

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:56:28 -0500, Whitecrest <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Actually for your own site, it would be easy to tell exactly how many
    > have Javascript turned off or on. Have the first line of the page be to
    > redirect via javascript. Then the page you redirected to also redirects
    > to the "final" page. Then count the page hits to the second page.
    > Using 3 pages, you virtually eliminate the error of someone copying the
    > link and sending it to someone that does not use Javascript so they
    > could hit the page.

    Now who's talking about overkill? :)

    Mark Parnell, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Andrew

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Actually for your own site, it would be easy to tell exactly how many
    > > have Javascript turned off or on. Have the first line of the page be to
    > > redirect via javascript. Then the page you redirected to also redirects
    > > to the "final" page. Then count the page hits to the second page.
    > > Using 3 pages, you virtually eliminate the error of someone copying the
    > > link and sending it to someone that does not use Javascript so they
    > > could hit the page.

    > Now who's talking about overkill? :)

    Sure it is over kill, but you can get a very accurate count of the
    number of actual visitors (not just some generic unreliable statistics)
    to see if the actual people that visit your site use Javascript or not.

    We have done this exact thing for several clients in the past. Turner's
    Cartoon Network hit just over 96% of the visitors had Javascript turned
    on. (We ran this last June) But we were not surprised because of the
    type of site the Cartoon network has.

    YMMV

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment