Re: Java vs Perl for specific tasks

Discussion in 'Perl' started by GIMME, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. GIMME

    GIMME Guest

    I haven't a lot of experience writing multiple threaded applications
    in Perl. If multiple thread are important I haven't a clue about
    how well it would stack up compared to Java. Probably not as well.

    But Perl might be a way to go. Perl has a more flexible object model
    than Java does. Once you get used to it it's easy to like

    I've reviewed Java 1.4's regular expression capabilities. It is
    a clean implementation but it doesn't approach what you can do in Perl.

    The Jakarata ORO package gives you all the regular expression
    stuff you get with Perl. It is also less verbose than Java 1.4.

    If you develop something in Perl, then later decide to translate
    it line for line into Java ORO can do that.

    GIMME, Sep 7, 2004