Re: Java Web Start

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, May 9, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 20:26:53 +0100, Sabine Dinis Blochberger
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said
    :

    >> If I put an absolute path Jaws can find the external tool.
    >> I can't understand from where Jaws starts to follow the relative path.

    If you can put the functionality into a DLL, you can get at it with
    JNI, and Java Web Start will automatically place the DLL and find it.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, May 9, 2008

  2. On May 9, 1:51 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said
    > :
    >
    > >> If I put an absolute path Jaws can find the external tool.
    > >> I can't understand from where Jaws starts to follow the relative path.

    > If you can put the functionality into a DLL, you can get at it with
    > JNI, and Java Web Start will automatically place the DLL and find it.

    The programmer just needs to make sure..

    The DLL will be found, if it is in the root of a
    Jar file which is referenced by a nativelib
    element in the JNLP file.

    OTOH, if the DLL is actually an EXE, the way to go is
    to invoke an installer-desc from the main JNLP file
    which installs the app. in either..
    a) a known location (such as 'user.home') or..
    b) a location the user specifies, then stores the
    path using either a system property, or the
    PersistenceService (available through the JNLP API).

    (If I had the choice, I would definitely use a DLL
    or .so native lib, rather than install an app. -
    the nativelibs can be updated automatically by JWS,
    whereas the app. cannot be updated, unless it
    updates itself).

    F-U's narrowed to c.l.j.help only.

    --
    Andrew T.