re. Java Webmaster PAY

Erwin Moller

Student said:
Thanks for the info you are fucking bellend :D

Hi Group,

Can somebody clarify this for me please?
I am a bit of a nOOb on this matter. :)

I see a lot of these meaningless messages.
They are a reply to a message I cannot see.

Where do they come from?
Is it because somebody posted to a lot of newsgroups, and another person
replies to them in only one newgroup, and then the next person replies to
THAT to all newsgroups again?

Anyway, I think it is very annoying.

Thanks for your time,
Erwin

Gordon Beaton

Can somebody clarify this for me please?
I am a bit of a nOOb on this matter. :)

I see a lot of these meaningless messages.
They are a reply to a message I cannot see.

Where do they come from?

They are caused by newbies not "replying" or "following up" properly
to the previous messgage, but instead posting a completely new message
(that may or may not have the same subject header as an earlier
message). The lack of a References header line is the clue.
Is it because somebody posted to a lot of newsgroups, and another
person replies to them in only one newgroup, and then the next
person replies to THAT to all newsgroups again?

A normal reply will have a valid References header that most
newsreaders can follow to see the previous message, regardless of
whether the reply and the earlier message were in the same or
different newsgroups. The newsgroup itself is not significant, in fact
it isn't unusual for parts of long threads to change newsgroups at
some point, and the References-based threading still works.

I agree that they are irritating, even more so when the subject line
doesn't match anything posted earlier. Often you see things like
"solved!" or "thanks I've got it" and have no clue what was solved.

/gordon

Thomas Weidenfeller

Erwin Moller said:
I see a lot of these meaningless messages.
They are a reply to a message I cannot see.

Where do they come from?

In this particular case, the original poster didn't reply to his own
thread, but created a new one. There is no "References:" header in his
second posting linking it to his first posting. The first posting from
him was in Message-ID:
<[email protected]>

Some newsreaders are still able to chain such postings in a thread by
using the subject line. However, in this particular posting my reader
didn't do it, because the subject line got broken by using a broken
"re." instead of "Re:".

There are other reasons why you might not see the original post. E.g.
if someone indeed does a followup in another newsgroup. It is actually
considered good style to set a Followup-To in the very rare cases where
you really have to cross-post. This way you limit discussion to one
group only.

An example where this didn't happen is the curren "Robots steal your
job" thread. The result is a discussion that is now taking place in
several unrelated newsgroups.

News also takes some time to travel around the world. It is possible
that you see a reply before the original posting has reached your news
server. It is also possible that a posting gets lost or some broken
software mangles the References line. This shouldn't happen to often.

If, however, you regularily have large amounts of missing posts, you
should check with your newsfeed. It might be broken, to slow, their
feed might be broken, they expire messages to fast, they maybe filter
"controversal" postings or spam and overdo filtering, etc.
Is it because somebody posted to a lot of newsgroups, and another person
replies to them in only one newgroup, and then the next person replies to
THAT to all newsgroups again?

That should not happen. Of course one can do it, and maybe there is
some broken newsreader out there that does it, but I have never
recognized something like this.

/Thomas