Re: Java3d game development

Discussion in 'Java' started by Richard Ivarson, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Terry,

    since Java3D is a general high level 3D-API, it's not suited very well
    for fast action games IMHO.
    I suggest you use a fast and solid low level 3D-API like OpenGL, in a
    version for Java named Jogl ( http://jogl.dev.java.net ). Please don't
    miss its nice starter guide (
    http://jogl.dev.java.net/unbranded-source/browse/*checkout*/jogl/doc/userguide/index.html?rev=1.2
    ).

    Currently there are ready compiled binary Jogl versions for Linux,
    Macos (X), Win32 and Solaris (
    http://jogl.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList ). The project
    is young and very promising. One of the initiators and maintainers of
    it is a SUN engineer who also works in the Java Hotspot team, so you
    won't be surprised that Jogl is amazinlgy fast.

    This doesn't mean your Java3d knowledge is without need. Tools,
    prototypes and "non action" applications can well be done with a high
    level API, because you'll reach your goals faster.

    Good discussions around Java game developing can be found Javagaming (
    http://www.javagaming.org ).
    This includes forums for Java3D, OpenGL for Java (Jogl), OpenAL for
    Java (Joal) and many more.

    P.S. Yet there are not very many professional Java games, but I'm sure
    it will change. One nice title is an optical gem (via OpenGL) coming
    from Great Britain: http://www.java.com/en/explore/games/alien_flux.jsp
    Very nice indeed.

    -ric

    Richard Ivarson, Jul 10, 2003