Re: JavaFX GUI Designer?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Arne Vajhøj, Feb 25, 2012.

  1. Arne Vajhøj

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 2/25/2012 4:12 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:
    > Does such a beast exist for JavaFX 2.0?
    >
    > If not, I'm thinking I may try to write one myself :)

    JavaFX Composer will not be ported from 1.x to 2.x.

    But they are planning a JavaFX Scene Builder for 2.x.

    According to roadmap
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javafx/overview/roadmap-1446331.html
    a developer preview should become available in Q2.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Feb 25, 2012

  2. On 2/25/2012 9:46 PM, Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Steve Sobol" wrote in message
    >
    >> Awesome. I thought JFX 1 was just stupid. JFX 2 has a lot of promise.

    > Agreed that JavaFX 2 shows promise. However, until it supports even
    > half-decent font rendering it will remain a work in progress. The current
    > version renders hideous, blurry text with no sub-pixel antialiasing that,
    > for me, almost completely undoes all the good work Oracle has done on this
    > product.

    I just installed netbeans 7.1 to play with JFx 2.0.
    But it is supposed to be using now a _new_ graphics engine
    called Prism

    from
    http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/06/jfx2-public-beta

    "A new graphics stack comprising a graphics engine (Prism),
    coupled with a new windowing toolkit, called Glass, which
    acts as the platform-dependent layer that connects the
    JavaFX platform to the native operating system. Prism
    supports hardware acceleration on a wide variety of
    cards from NVIDIA, ATI and Intel, which in turn uses
    different rendering paths depending on the platform being
    used (DirectX on Windows, OpenGL on Mac, Linux, and embedded)"

    So if you say that font rendering is no good, then what would
    cause this?

    --Nasser
    Nasser M. Abbasi, Feb 26, 2012

  3. Arne Vajhøj

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 2/25/2012 10:46 PM, Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Steve Sobol" wrote in message
    >> Awesome. I thought JFX 1 was just stupid. JFX 2 has a lot of promise.

    > Agreed that JavaFX 2 shows promise. However, until it supports even
    > half-decent font rendering it will remain a work in progress. The
    > current version renders hideous, blurry text with no sub-pixel
    > antialiasing that, for me, almost completely undoes all the good work
    > Oracle has done on this product.

    I am sure that there are still lot of quirks.

    But fixing a problem like this should not require API changes
    just some backend improvements.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Feb 26, 2012