Re: JComboBox with IDentifiers

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sax@DIST.remove-nlb-this, Aug 13, 2012.

  1. -nlb-this

    -nlb-this Guest

    From: "Sax@DIST" <>

    Hi People,
    thanks a lot for your kind replies. 0:cool:

    I'll (try to) follow your suggests for JAVA programming in the future, as I'm
    working in JAVA language since a few days, and I didn't find any solution to my
    needs, so I wrote this one in the while of finding info about my needs! 0;-P

    BtW: which is the best place where to find (lots of simple) examples for
    learning the JAVA philosophy; for example: a *good and simple* solution for
    this problem? 08-?

    PS: I must use the Eclipse environment in the development of this small
    project, as it's part of a bigger one! 08-!

    Thanks a lot again,
    Roberto. 0:cool:

    On Friday, August 10, 2012 11:41:33 PM UTC+2, Sax@DIST wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    > here I am again with another amazing trouble! 0:cool:
    > I need to create a JComboBox containing a list of Items,
    > each of which has its own IDentifier!
    > So: when I select an Item of the JComboBox,
    > I need to get its IDentifier
    > (ie: its ID in a DataBase Table).
    > I wrote the following four classes example,
    > and I hope this could help someone else with my same needs!

    --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
    -nlb-this, Aug 13, 2012

  2. -nlb-this

    markspace Guest

    To: Sax@DIST
    From: markspace <-@.>

    On 8/12/2012 2:03 PM, Sax@DIST wrote:

    > BtW: which is the best place where to find (lots of simple) examples
    > for learning the JAVA philosophy; for example: a *good and simple*
    > solution for this problem? 08-?

    Well, I still don't know what the problem is, other than "I don't know Java."
    (Note spelling--not all caps.) Anything you read now should help, since you
    are just beginning. Here's two ideas, both from the Java tutorial (which you
    should certainly read).

    JCombobox:

    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/components/combobox.html>

    Database connections:

    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/jdbc/index.html>

    markspace, Aug 13, 2012

  3. -nlb-this

    -nlb-this Guest

    To: markspace
    From: "Sax@DIST" <>

    Hi markspace,
    thanks a lot for the two links you suggested me about the Java Programming
    Language! 0;-)

    The first one, about the "correct" usage of JComboBox itself, is very detailed
    and I think I can find what I need, reading the lots of examples.

    The second one, about the database connection, will be very useful for me, as I
    need to get the data for the items of my JComboBox from a DataBase Table.

    After all, my needs are very simple: (o) to read some records (fields required:
    'IDentifier' and 'Description') from a DB-Table
    (o) to show the 'Description' of the records as Items of the JComboBox (o) to
    do something else with the 'IDentifier' of the selected Item within the
    JComboBox

    Thanks again for your precious help,
    Greetings.
    Roberto
    0:cool:

    -nlb-this, Aug 13, 2012
  4. To: Sax@DIST
    From: Daniele Futtorovic <>

    On 13/08/2012 18:22, Sax@DIST allegedly wrote:
    > Hi markspace,
    > thanks a lot for the two links you suggested me about the Java Programming

    Language! 0;-)

    > The first one, about the "correct" usage of JComboBox itself, is very

    detailed and I think I can find what I need, reading the lots of examples.

    > The second one, about the database connection, will be very useful for me, as

    I need to get the data for the items of my JComboBox from a DataBase Table.

    > After all, my needs are very simple:
    > (o) to read some records (fields required: 'IDentifier' and 'Description')

    from a DB-Table
    > (o) to show the 'Description' of the records as Items of the JComboBox
    > (o) to do something else with the 'IDentifier' of the selected Item within

    the JComboBox

    > Thanks again for your precious help,
    > Greetings.
    > Roberto
    > 0:cool:

    Hi Roberto,

    You should create a custom data structure containing the data you need
    (identifier and representation, from the looks of it), add them to the
    JComboBox's contents, and use a custom renderer
    (<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/swing/JComboBox.html#setRender
    er(javax.swing.ListCellRenderer)>).
    That way, the _items_ in the combo box will always be your custom data
    structure instances (which you can use in #setSelectedItem(Object), for
    instance; or returned by #getSelectedItem()), and the renderer controls how
    they're displayed.

    In addition -- I believe I've already seen something like this coded somewhere
    -- you can write your own custom model (<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/swing/ComboBoxModel.html>)
    and have that hook directly to the database, possibly with on-demand,
    lightweight loading of data.

    HTH,
    --
    DF.