Re: JDialog in taskbar under Linux

Discussion in 'Java' started by Alexandr Molochnikov, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. A short update on my inquiry. I discovered that under Linux, the decorations
    of JDialog and its appearance in the taskbar depends on the status of its
    parent window:

    If the parent window is displayed, the JDialog shows only a Close button,
    and does not get iconified in the taskbar;

    If the parent window is NOT displayed (as was in my case: I used a dummy
    JFrame as the parent in order to pass the title bar icon to JDialog in
    Windows OS) then JDialog shows all buttons in its title bar, and shows up in
    the taskbar.

    The interesting part is that in order to rid JDialog of the extra buttons
    and prevent it from being shown in the taskbar, all I had to do was to
    briefly make the dummy JFrame visible, and immediately after that make it
    invisible again - that did the trick.

    None of these acrobatics were necessary in Windows which is why my original
    code worked fine there.

    Live and learn...

    Alex Molochnikov
    Gestalt Corporation