Re: jpeg resizing in a headless environment

Discussion in 'Java' started by Marco Schmidt, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. Joe Hudson:

    >Hello, thanks in advance for anyone reading this message. I have a
    >servlet application in a headless environment that resizes images to
    >make thumbnails.

    Check out
    <http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/java-save-jpeg-thumbnail.html>,
    it reportedly works in a headless environment.

    Regards,
    Marco

    Marco Schmidt, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Marco Schmidt

    Joe Hudson Guest

    Thank you both very much for replying to my message. I really
    appreciate it. I am going to look at the links right now but I just
    wanted to thank you for helping me.

    Joe

    Joe Hudson, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Josef Garvi:

    [thumbnail generation]

    >This code works very well.
    >Just one question though:
    >The shrunken thumbnail becomes a pit grainy. When resizing images with i.e.
    >Photoshop, the result is a much smoother image. Is this due to Photoshop
    >using a better algorithm, or simply because Photoshop applies some type of
    >blur after resizing?

    Sorry for the delay, I didn't notice your message.

    Can be both. You could apply a blur as well (ConvolveOp), also try it
    _before_ the resize operation. You could also resize in several steps,
    in each step reducing to the half (e.g. 4000 => 2000 => 1000 => 500 =>
    final size).

    Regards,
    Marco

    Marco Schmidt, Sep 4, 2003