Re: JS Stops working in IE6

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 17, 2008.

  1. In alt.html, sheldonlg wrote:

    > sheldonlg wrote:
    >> Here is an app: www.sheldonlg.com/JSstops.htm

    > I have the entire menuing removed, tags and css stuff, in
    > www.sheldonlg.com/JSstops2.htm.
    >
    > This expands three levels, but not the fourth. Removing things causes
    > all four levels to appear.

    I don't see any "levels" at all, though when I look at the source of the
    page, there is a horrendous use of nested tables. Is that what you mean?
    What is that empty dropdown box for?

    Looks like a maintenance nightmare to me.

    See:
    http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php
    http://tekrider.net/html/fontsize.php

    I also don't see any JavaScript that might do what your "onclick" code
    is calling.

    Using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008050509
    Firefox/3.0b5 with JavaScript enabled. No IE here.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 17, 2008

  2. In alt.html, sheldonlg wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> In alt.html, sheldonlg wrote:
    >> <snippage>

    >> I don't see any "levels" at all, though when I look at the source of
    >> the page, there is a horrendous use of nested tables. Is that what
    >> you mean? What is that empty dropdown box for?

    > The levels refer to the depth of the nested table. The empty
    > dropdown is not empty in the real app, only this sample app. It is
    > there because if I remove it, then all the levels ("+" signs) expand
    > the inner tables. I pared down the original to get to the simplest
    > case that shows the strange behavior in IE6

    Hmm. Ok.

    >> Looks like a maintenance nightmare to me.

    > Not at all and, more importantly, THAT is what the customer wants

    Well, the customer wants appearing and disappearing data, but that
    doesn't mean you really need nested tables to display it.

    Why not use *sequential* tables in the code, but with increasing left
    margin as you go? Heck, that may even solve your IE problem! ;-)

    >> See:
    >> http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php

    > I found this article a little confusing.

    How so? IE doesn't know what to do with XHTML. You're cheating by
    sending the page as "text/html" instead of "application/xhtml+xml" and
    so placing IE in quirks mode. And that means "all bets are off."

    You did look at the three referenced test pages, correct?
    o HTML 4.01
    o XHTML 1.0
    o XHTML 1.1

    >> http://tekrider.net/html/fontsize.php

    > This one is very helpful.

    Good to hear you agree.

    >> I also don't see any JavaScript that might do what your "onclick"
    >> code is calling.

    > The only onclick of importance is for the "+" and "-" signs and that
    > is toggleSet and is there. Forget about all the others. They don't
    > matter for this discussion.

    Ah. Plus signs. Pardon my browser and vision. Your "+" signs looked like
    ... oh, like the suit of cards Clubs symbol, at my chosen font and size.
    I didn't even recogize it as a plus sign.

    "imgs/plus.gif"

    That's bold, fat, and blurry to me. I'd suggest you see if you can find
    a graphic of a thinly bordered white box with a thin plus sign in the
    box. Something like the ones in this illustration I found:
    <http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/resources/eclipse/debugger/Old/Cast/gifs/this.gif>

    > In order to clear up confusion, the new app is at
    > www.sheldonlg.com/JSstop1.com

    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 17, 2008