Re: JTextArea text is double-spaced?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. (bad_knee) writes:
    > Well, for anyone who may be wondering, I found something interesting.
    > In the jre/lib directory there are several font.prop* files that
    > must do some kind of f#cking around with the system font settings
    > for java.

    The files are well documented. Why don't you educate yourself about the
    subject before ranting about it?

    > I deleted them all and left font.properties there and commented
    > out all the entries in it.

    You just destroyed the mapping of glyphes from various physical fonts
    to the logical font names in Java, and to unicode-compliant positions.

    > *lol* how f#cked-up is that? I'm sick
    > of looking around for a solution to this. This is my solution.

    It is not a solution. It is an indication that one of your system's
    fonts or your system's font renderer is corrupted. The font.properties
    file just happened to map a (corrupted) font to the font used by your
    application.

    > And the screwiest thing about this is on a windows system, this
    > double-spaced line problem is nonexistant. So much for being
    > system independant.

    Which is another indication that the problem is with the fonts on your
    system or with the font renderer, but not with Java. Did you notice
    that in years of discussions about Java you are the only one who ever
    had such a fundamental problem? One would assume that others would have
    complained about it, too.

    /Thomas
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Thomas Weidenfeller

    bad_knee Guest

    > You just destroyed the mapping of glyphes from various physical fonts
    > to the logical font names in Java, and to unicode-compliant positions.

    It doesn't really matter. It's a local machine and no one here can read
    japanese or mandarin anyway.

    > It is not a solution. It is an indication that one of your system's
    > fonts or your system's font renderer is corrupted. The font.properties
    > file just happened to map a (corrupted) font to the font used by your
    > application.

    Thanks I'll see what I can find on xfs then. Perhaps a new version
    would remedy the problem. I sure dont want to write a NukeFontProp()
    method in every application.

    > Which is another indication that the problem is with the fonts on your
    > system or with the font renderer, but not with Java. Did you notice
    > that in years of discussions about Java you are the only one who ever
    > had such a fundamental problem?

    It's a fundamental problem with being self taught. I could tell
    some stories... Thanks for reply /Thomas, even though you sound like a
    jackass, I appreciate the feedback.
    bad_knee, Jul 17, 2003

  3. (bad_knee) writes:
    > Thanks for reply /Thomas, even though you sound like a
    > jackass, I appreciate the feedback.

    Oh, that is easy to fix for the future.

    <PLONK>

    /Thomas