Re: Just bought Python in a Nutshell

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve Holden, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. Steve Holden

    Steve Holden Guest

    Lamonte Harris wrote:
    > http://www.powells.com/biblio/63-9780596001889-7 Used, has anyone read
    > this book. Any additional information that you like,dislike about this
    > book? [I like having real books and stead of ebooks because its better
    > on the eyes.] Should be her 2morrow Afternoon :), few hours before I
    > get home great deal :D.

    You have just purchased the most comprehensive language reference and
    instructional manual currently available, written by an acknowledged
    expert whose pedantry ensures an excruciating level of correctness in
    the text. It's a well-written book, and contains enough information that
    almost every Python programmer will find it a useful addition to his or
    her bookshelf.

    You will enjoy it whether you choose to read from the beginning or just
    dip in.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Sep 14, 2007

  2. Steve Holden

    Guest

    I respectfully disagree with Shawn, in this case.

    Don't skim Nutshell, unless you know very little Python, and even then
    it is really the wrong book. It is rather dry reading and provides
    very little of the usual user-friendly introductions to language
    features by solving simple problems.

    Doesn't sound like that much of an endorsement, does it? Well, in
    fact, it is pretty much my most used Python book (out of 7 or 8
    others).

    If you read Alex's posts in this newsgroup, you'll see that he is one
    of the most pragmatic and rigorous posters who usually contributes
    code that elegantly and simply solves the issue at hand with the
    minimum amount of clutter.

    What Python in a Nutshell is really good at is showing you exactly
    what Python is capable of doing, feature by feature, in a thoroughly
    Pythonic way for the feature. With code and exact implication. For
    example, I know Python well but I am kinda lacking in metaclass
    comprehension. If I were to write some non-trivial metaclasses I
    would surely have his 3 or 4 pages open on my desk as I write code and
    skim through other internet postings. Those 3-4 pages have kinda made
    my brain shrivel every time I've looked at them, but they are the
    clearest overview I've seen of what is probably one of the hardest
    Python features to understand.

    For normal, easy-to-understand Python, Nutshell really dissects the
    languages with new insight. The information is dense, because each
    word has its place and there very little filler. That's why skimming
    it does not work for me, I just don't have the requisite sustained
    attention span.

    So, although I read almost all other computer books like Shawn does, I
    don't think it applies in this particular case. When you have a
    particular aspect of Python in mind, use Nutshell. Read up on 'look
    before you leap' in it if you really want a sample of how it is
    written.

    Cheers
    , Sep 14, 2007

  3. Luckily that site still had one left .. so i brought it :D. I can
    always use another good and CHEAP book.

    Danyelle
    Danyelle Gragsone, Sep 14, 2007
  4. awesome!

    I should see it in about 2 wks.. im poor. So I choose super snail mail.

    LN
    Danyelle Gragsone, Sep 14, 2007
  5. Re: [pygame] Re: Just bought Python in a Nutshell

    Lamonte Harris wrote:
    > Wow I just got it, and its nice doesn't even look used god damn. :D.

    It's generally considered rude to curse in technical forums such as this.
    Also, please use more punctuation. You're hard to understand sometimes.
    -Luke
    Luke Paireepinart, Sep 15, 2007
  6. Python in a nutshell also comes in a second edition:
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonian2/index.html. Here, many of
    the new features in Python 2.5 are included. I haven't read through
    the first the edition, but I can honestly say that reading through the
    second edition has made me a better programmer, not just a better
    Python programmer. I only wish I'd read through it earlier, which
    would have saved me a lot of agony:)

    -Tor Erik
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tor_Erik_S=F8nvisen?=, Sep 15, 2007
  7. Steve Holden

    7stud Guest

    Used copies of computer books for out of date editions are always
    cheap. "Python in a Nutshell (2nd ed)" is a reference book with a
    frustratingly poor index--go figure. It also contains errors not
    posted in the errata.
    7stud, Sep 15, 2007
  8. 7stud <> wrote:

    > Used copies of computer books for out of date editions are always
    > cheap. "Python in a Nutshell (2nd ed)" is a reference book with a
    > frustratingly poor index--go figure. It also contains errors not
    > posted in the errata.

    You can always enter errata at
    <http://www.oreilly.com/cgi-bin/errata.form/pythonian2> and thus help
    all future readers of the book (if your errata are confirmed to be
    valid). Vague mentions of "errors not posted in the errata" are far
    less useful (and unconfirmed, too).

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Sep 16, 2007