Re: K.N. King's Second Edition

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by s0suk3@gmail.com, May 1, 2008.

  1. Guest

    On Apr 30, 10:27 pm, Bob Nelson <> wrote:
    > Right next to K&R2 on my bookshelf is _C Programming: A Modern Approach_ by
    > Professor K.N. King. The second edition of this book is now available. See
    > this URL for details:
    >
    > http://knking.com/books/c2/
    >
    > I don't think I'm alone among c.l.c. participants in recommending this book
    > (based upon the very good first edition).

    I have ordered both K&R 2 and the 2nd edition of C Programming: A
    Modern Approach; they should be arriving in a few days. I'm not a
    total novice programmer but I am totally new to C. Which one should I
    learn first?
    , May 1, 2008

  2. On May 1, 4:40 am, wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 10:27 pm, Bob Nelson <> wrote:
    >
    > > Right next to K&R2 on my bookshelf is _C Programming: A Modern Approach_ by
    > > Professor K.N. King. The second edition of this book is now available. See
    > > this URL for details:

    > >http://knking.com/books/c2/

    > > I don't think I'm alone among c.l.c. participants in recommending this book
    > > (based upon the very good first edition).

    > I have ordered both K&R 2 and the 2nd edition of C Programming: A
    > Modern Approach; they should be arriving in a few days. I'm not a
    > total novice programmer but I am totally new to C. Which one should I
    > learn first?

    You really can't go wrong either way. K&R may get you writing
    programs faster as the book is one third the size of CPMA, if you have
    programming experience and work well with terse texts you may want to
    start with it. CPMA is longer but it covers C99, discusses the entire
    C library, is easier to understand, and provides and wider and deeper
    coverage of the language. I would probably start with K&R and see how
    it works for you, if it's too hard to follow, go with CMPA instead.
    If you make it through K&R you will still be able to learn quite a bit
    from CPMA, probably not so much the other way around but despite the
    order I would strongly suggest reading both in their entireties.

    --
    Robert Gamble
    Robert Gamble, May 1, 2008