Re: keeping information about players around

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dwight Hutto, Sep 24, 2012.

  1. Dwight Hutto

    Dwight Hutto Guest

    On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Chris Angelico <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Dwight Hutto <> wrote:
    >> Also, If this is a browser app I'd go with phpmyadmin, and MySQL
    >>
    >> If a tkinter/wxpython/etc app, then maybe sqlite.

    > Out of curiosity, why? MySQL isn't magically better for everything
    > where data ends up displayed in a web browser.

    No, but phpmyadmin is a great GUI for MySQL

    Unless you're planning
    > to also reference this database from some other language, it's going
    > to make little difference what backend you use; and even if you are
    > using multiple languages, it's usually not difficult to find overlap.

    Well this is python, but in the browser a little echo, instead of
    print, isn't that bad for conversational php.

    And in the end it's usually html, php, css, javascript in the browser,
    atleast for me it is. I'm just starting to utilize python in that
    area, so excuse the naivety.

    --
    Best Regards,
    David Hutto

    Dwight Hutto, Sep 24, 2012

  2. Dwight Hutto

    alex23 Guest

    On Sep 25, 8:32 am, Dwight Hutto <> wrote:
    > No, but phpmyadmin is a great GUI for MySQL

    If you're recommending MySQL use on the basis of phpmyadmin, you
    should also make sure to mention:
    http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/security/

    Great GUI, maybe. Huge security hole, absolutely. Most organisations
    I've worked for won't allow it anywhere near their servers.

    alex23, Sep 25, 2012

  3. Dwight Hutto

    Dwight Hutto Guest

    On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM, alex23 <> wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 8:32 am, Dwight Hutto <> wrote:
    >> No, but phpmyadmin is a great GUI for MySQL

    > If you're recommending MySQL use on the basis of phpmyadmin, you
    > should also make sure to mention:
    > http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/security/
    >
    > Great GUI, maybe. Huge security hole, absolutely. Most organisations
    > I've worked for won't allow it anywhere near their servers.

    What DB are you recommending, check out sqlite's:

    http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-9237/Sqlite.html

    Maybe just a parsed file with data, and accessing data that you design.

    Dwight Hutto, Sep 25, 2012
  4. Dwight Hutto

    alex23 Guest

    alex23, Sep 25, 2012
  5. Dwight Hutto

    Dwight Hutto Guest

    On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM, alex23 <> wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 9:44 am, Dwight Hutto <> wrote:
    >> What DB are you recommending, check out sqlite's:
    >>
    >> http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-9237/Sqlite.html

    > Are you _seriously_ comparing _four_ vulnerabilities to 60+?

    Even less if you use your own DB structure, and evn less in mysql if
    you reject the injections of the known vulnerablities.

    >> Maybe just a parsed file with data, and accessing data that you design.

    > Just stop.

    Why not suggest odbm or relational db's, this shows your lack of
    complexity in design, so please stop your own Dunner-Kruning.

    Dwight Hutto, Sep 25, 2012
  6. Dwight Hutto

    Dwight Hutto Guest

    Dwight Hutto, Sep 25, 2012