Re: Keg - A python web framework

Discussion in 'Python' started by Daniel Fetchinson, Aug 4, 2008.

  1. > I've been working on a python web framework which I think might be of
    > interest to you.
    > Details may be found at http://code.google.com/p/keg/wiki/Concept.
    >

    > All suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

    I fail to see what the advantages of your framework are over django or
    turbogears. The description you give on the above url doesn't really
    help as all the goals you state for your project are solved by both
    django and turbogears.

    I wouldn't want to be too discouraging but it seems you are led by the
    NIH principle which is not a really useful one in the open source
    world. You can expect exactly 0 users and no appreciation for your
    efforts which will/can lead to frustration and bad health.
    Contributing to an already existing and mature framework like django
    and turbogears can/will be on the other hand rewarding.

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    Daniel Fetchinson, Aug 4, 2008

  2. Daniel Fetchinson

    bukzor Guest

    On Aug 4, 1:13 pm, "Daniel Fetchinson" <>
    wrote:
    > > I've been working on a python web framework which I think might be of
    > > interest to you.
    > > Details may be found athttp://code.google.com/p/keg/wiki/Concept.

    > > All suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

    > I fail to see what the advantages of your framework are over django or
    > turbogears. The description you give on the above url doesn't really
    > help as all the goals you state for your project are solved by both
    > django and turbogears.
    >
    > I wouldn't want to be too discouraging but it seems you are led by the
    > NIH principle which is not a really useful one in the open source
    > world. You can expect exactly 0 users and no appreciation for your
    > efforts which will/can lead to frustration and bad health.
    > Contributing to an already existing and mature framework like django
    > and turbogears can/will be on the other hand rewarding.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Daniel
    > --
    > Psss, psss, put it down! -http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown

    I'd need to see a couple walkthroughs to be interested. Suggested
    titles: "Easy things made easy" and "Hard things made possible". Links
    to current sites using the platform also helps.

    bukzor, Aug 4, 2008

  3. Daniel Fetchinson

    Kay Schluehr Guest

    > You can expect exactly 0 users and no appreciation for your
    > efforts which will/can lead to frustration and bad health.

    Is it really so bad to have no users and not becoming a "rock star
    programmer" but rather being a "poor poet programmer" (PPP) instead?

    Kay Schluehr, Aug 5, 2008
  4. Daniel Fetchinson

    Ken Starks Guest

    Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
    >> I've been working on a python web framework which I think might be of
    >> interest to you.
    >> Details may be found at http://code.google.com/p/keg/wiki/Concept.
    >>

    >> All suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

    > I fail to see what the advantages of your framework are over django or
    > turbogears. The description you give on the above url doesn't really
    > help as all the goals you state for your project are solved by both
    > django and turbogears.
    >
    > I wouldn't want to be too discouraging but it seems you are led by the
    > NIH principle which is not a really useful one in the open source
    > world. You can expect exactly 0 users and no appreciation for your
    > efforts which will/can lead to frustration and bad health.
    > Contributing to an already existing and mature framework like django
    > and turbogears can/will be on the other hand rewarding.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Daniel

    The goal I would like for your webapp project is:

    "Do in Python what 'Apache Cocoon' does in Java"

    There is already a python cocoon project, in hibernation.
    Perhaps you could join it and wake it up!

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pycoon

    Ken Starks, Aug 5, 2008