Re: keynote speaker, PyCon Reminder: Early bird reg deadline 2/1

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Benson, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. John Benson

    John Benson Guest

    My curiosity has been greatly piqued to see that

    "DC 2004 will be held March 24-26, 2004 in Washington, D.C. The keynote
    speaker is Mitch Kapor of the Open Source Applications Foundation
    (http://www.osafoundation.org/). "

    Isn't Kapor the Lotus guy that tried to quash Borlands Quattro Pro because
    it offered an alternative Lotus-user-friendly menuing structure? (see
    http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Copyright/copyright.html)

    And who also claimed that "it is my heartfelt belief that many of the
    increasing number of recently issued software patents, concerning, for
    instance, fundamental techniques and artifacts of user interfaces, should
    never have been granted in the first place because of their failure to
    qualify as either novel or non-obvious. Some patents appear to preempt
    automation of common functions such as footnoting. This to me is like
    allowing a patent on the round steering wheel."
    (http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/software_patent_kapor.htm)

    I'm experiencing some severe cognitive dissonance here. Can anybody help?

    John Benson, Jan 19, 2004

  2. John Benson

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "John Benson" <> wrote in message
    > My curiosity has been greatly piqued to see that
    >
    > "DC 2004 will be held March 24-26, 2004 in Washington, D.C. The keynote
    > speaker is Mitch Kapor of the Open Source Applications Foundation
    > (http://www.osafoundation.org/). "
    >
    > Isn't Kapor the Lotus guy that tried to quash Borlands Quattro Pro

    because
    > it offered an alternative Lotus-user-friendly menuing structure? (see
    > http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Copyright/copyright.html)
    >
    > And who also claimed that "it is my heartfelt belief that many of the
    > increasing number of recently issued software patents, concerning, for
    > instance, fundamental techniques and artifacts of user interfaces, should
    > never have been granted in the first place because of their failure to
    > qualify as either novel or non-obvious. Some patents appear to preempt
    > automation of common functions such as footnoting. This to me is like
    > allowing a patent on the round steering wheel."
    > (http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/software_patent_kapor.htm)
    >
    > I'm experiencing some severe cognitive dissonance here. Can anybody help?

    I am pretty sure the second item (statement) came several years after the
    first. Sometimes people learn from experience and mistakes. I have.

    tjr

    Terry Reedy, Jan 20, 2004

  3. John Benson

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    John Benson <> wrote:

    >Isn't Kapor the Lotus guy that tried to quash Borlands Quattro Pro because
    >it offered an alternative Lotus-user-friendly menuing structure? (see
    >http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Copyright/copyright.html)

    According to http://www.kapor.com/homepages/mkapor/bio0701.htm :

    He founded Lotus Development Corp. in 1982 and with Jonathan Sachs,
    who was responsible for technical architecture and implementation,
    created Lotus 1-2-3. He served as the President (later Chairman) and
    Chief Executive Officer of Lotus from 1982 to 1986 and as a Director
    until 1987.

    According to http://www.lgu.com/publications/softcopy/20.shtml

    Lotus began in early 1987 by filing suit in federal court in
    Massachusetts against Paperback Software and Mosaic Software, two
    so-called Lotus "clone" developers. These companies had published
    programs which copied the Lotus 1-2-3 command sequence virtually word
    for word. The cases were assigned to Judge Robert Keeton.

    So it's not clear to what extent, if any, Kapor was responsible for
    these legal shenanigans.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    A: No.