Re: Language META Tag

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Geoff Ball, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Geoff Ball

    Geoff Ball Guest

    Samu� van Laere wrote:

    > My site is currently in the Dutch language,
    > i might also offer some English translations.
    >
    > I assume its common practice to provide a language meta tag.

    Don't use a meta tag. Do it on the server.

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html

    > Are those META Tags still usefull for search engines/browser, or is this
    > also possible with htaccess?

    No; since the headers have already been sent, a meta tag cannot change any
    of the document's properties. The meta tag is, in this case, effectively
    useless.

    Regards,
    Geoff

    --
    http://68.145.145.156:8080/
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Geoff_Ball

    Geoff Ball, Jul 9, 2003

  2. On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:50:44 -0600, Geoff Ball wrote:

    > Samu� van Laere wrote:
    >
    >> My site is currently in the Dutch language,
    >> i might also offer some English translations.
    >>
    >> I assume its common practice to provide a language meta tag.

    > Don't use a meta tag. Do it on the server.
    >
    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html

    Although do still use the lang or xml:lang attributes (in HTML or XHTML
    respectively).

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Geoff Ball

    Ernest Cline Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in message
    > "Geoff Ball" <> schreef in bericht
    > > Samu? van Laere wrote:
    > >
    > > > My site is currently in the Dutch language,
    > > > i might also offer some English translations.
    > > >
    > > > I assume its common practice to provide a language meta tag.

    > > Don't use a meta tag. Do it on the server.
    > >
    > > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html
    > >
    > > > Are those META Tags still usefull for search engines/browser, or is

    this
    > > > also possible with htaccess?

    > > No; since the headers have already been sent, a meta tag cannot change

    any
    > > of the document's properties. The meta tag is, in this case, effectively
    > > useless.

    > Thanks a lot Geoff,
    >
    > Do you have some advise on the 2-letter or 3-letter codes?
    > Does it matter wich ones i use?

    Yes it does matter. RFC 3066 which is the reference document for language
    tags as used on the internet says in section 2.3.2

    When a language has both an ISO 639-1 2-character code and an ISO 639-2
    3-character code, you MUST use the tag derived from the ISO 639-1
    2-character code.

    Ernest Cline, Jul 9, 2003