Re: Layout and data

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Luigi Donatello Asero" <>
    Newsgroups: alt.html
    Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 2:21 PM
    Subject: Re: Layout and data.

    > > > When I tried to do it previously I could not it as long as I still
    > > > want to have buttons which change colour if the user has already used
    > > > those links ( buttons).

    > > That can hardly be a problem :) Do you have an URL of such a page?
    > > Nico

    > I am not sure I have because I did it for a long time ago
    > but I can try to do the page again may-be in some days and then post the
    > URL
    >

    > --
    > Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    >

    > http://www.italymap.dk
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/trevidue.html

    Now I have made some other tries. I was unsuccessful though.
    Here are some Url
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html

    Which of the two
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklartvaa.html or

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklartre.html looks
    better in your opinion by the way?

    --

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    >>> That can hardly be a problem :) Do you have an URL of such a page?

    >> I am not sure I have because I did it for a long time ago
    >> but I can try to do the page again may-be in some days and then
    >> post the URL

    > Now I have made some other tries. I was unsuccessful though.
    > Here are some Url
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html

    I only looked at the first one.
    I always find it difficult to debug CSS. Look at an example that could do
    the job at: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/scaiec.htm
    You could use that as a basis and add relevant parts of your own CSS.
    Also, have a look at http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/ for a
    menu like this that uses links.

    > Which of the two
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklartvaa.html
    > or
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklartre.html
    > looks better in your opinion by the way?

    I have no specific preference :)
    Good luck, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jan 10, 2004

  3. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > >> I am not sure I have because I did it for a long time ago
    > >> but I can try to do the page again may-be in some days and then
    > >> post the URL

    > > Now I have made some other tries. I was unsuccessful though.
    > > Here are some Url
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html

    > I only looked at the first one.
    > I always find it difficult to debug CSS. Look at an example that could do
    > the job at: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/scaiec.htm

    Well ,actually,
    the buttons have on that page a different layout which I do not like. My
    buttons are separate from each other and change color, I have not managed to
    create such ones using only CSS, so far.
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html

    > You could use that as a basis and add relevant parts of your own CSS.
    > Also, have a look at http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/ for a
    > menu like this that uses links.

    I shall probably have a look at these pages within a few days.
    > > Which of the two
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklartvaa.html
    > > or
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklartre.html
    > > looks better in your opinion by the way?

    > I have no specific preference :)
    > Good luck, Nico

    Both good or both bad?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 10, 2004

    > "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > > > Now I have made some other tries. I was unsuccessful though.
    > > > Here are some Url
    > > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html
    > > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html
    > > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html

    > > I only looked at the first one.
    > > I always find it difficult to debug CSS. Look at an example that could

    do
    > > the job at: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/scaiec.htm

    > Well ,actually,
    > the buttons have on that page a different layout which I do not like. My
    > buttons are separate from each other and change color, I have not managed

    > create such ones using only CSS, so far.
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html

    May-be the difference is the background, not that they are separate from
    each other.
    They are both in groups but in your example the buttons seem to lie in the
    same background color.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt skrev
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    >>> Now I have made some other tries. I was unsuccessful though.
    >>> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test5.html
    >>> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html
    >>> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test6.html

    >> I only looked at the first one.
    >> I always find it difficult to debug CSS. Look at an example that
    >> could do the job at: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/scaiec.htm

    > Well ,actually,
    > the buttons have on that page a different layout which I do not like.

    I didn't intend to built your site for you :) I just handed you the basic
    CSS.

    > My buttons are separate from each other and change color, I have not
    > managed to create such ones using only CSS, so far.

    Well, in 5 seconds I changed:
    #menu a {
    margin-top: 2px; -> 5px
    width: 90% -> 100%;
    and
    #menu a:hover { background-color: transparent; -> white;
    Result: buttons are separated, wider (like yours) and have another color on
    hover
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > May-be the difference is the background, not that they are separate
    > from each other.
    > They are both in groups but in your example the buttons seem to lie
    > in the same background color.

    Well *change* the background
    From
    #menu{
    background-color: #D23E38;
    #menu{
    background-color: blue;
    Or whatever you like

    Nico Schuyt, Jan 10, 2004
  7. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Nico Schuyt skrev

    > >> I only looked at the first one.
    > >> I always find it difficult to debug CSS. Look at an example that
    > >> could do the job at: http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/scaiec.htm

    > > Well ,actually,
    > > the buttons have on that page a different layout which I do not like.

    > I didn't intend to built your site for you :) I just handed you the basic
    > CSS.

    Of course not :)
    I shall have a look at it later.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 10, 2004
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote in message
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I always find it difficult to debug CSS.

    Switch borders on for everything in your user style sheet:

    * {border: solid 1px green}

    You can see where every element is going.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 11, 2004
  9. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > May-be the difference is the background, not that they are separate
    > > from each other.
    > > They are both in groups but in your example the buttons seem to lie
    > > in the same background color.

    > Well *change* the background
    > From
    > #menu{
    > background-color: #D23E38;
    > #menu{
    > background-color: blue;
    > Or whatever you like

    Well, I tried to change a lot of things but now it does not work as it
    should
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html

    and by the way, why do you set the fonts? Is it not better to let the user
    choose the ones he likes?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 11, 2004
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt skrev

    > Well, I tried to change a lot of things but now it does not work as it
    > should
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html

    *Of course* it doesn't:
    - background-color:ffffff; Should be background-color:#ffffff;
    - Margin-top: 5px (You wanted the items separated you said) should be 0px
    if you dont't
    - You want all borders the same, so: border: 1px solid red

    > and by the way, why do you set the fonts? Is it not better to let the
    > user choose the ones he likes?

    Probably less then 1% of internet users knows how to set or change a default
    font. I just don't like serif as font. IMO the sans-serif is easier to read.
    Users can override it if they want.

    Cheers, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jan 11, 2004
  11. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Nico Schuyt skrev

    > > Well, I tried to change a lot of things but now it does not work as it
    > > should
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html

    > *Of course* it doesn't:
    > - background-color:ffffff; Should be background-color:#ffffff;
    > - Margin-top: 5px (You wanted the items separated you said) should be 0px
    > if you dont't
    > - You want all borders the same, so: border: 1px solid red
    >
    > > and by the way, why do you set the fonts? Is it not better to let the
    > > user choose the ones he likes?

    > Probably less then 1% of internet users knows how to set or change a

    default
    > font. I just don't like serif as font. IMO the sans-serif is easier to

    read.
    > Users can override it if they want.
    >
    > Cheers, Nico

    Now the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/testaccio.html
    and the page
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklarfyra.html
    seem to work but the link colour on the buttons is not the same as on the
    other pages.

    --

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 12, 2004
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Now the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/testaccio.html
    > and the page
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklarfyra.html
    > seem to work

    Looks good to me! (also in Mozilla and Opera). In IE6 some links have a
    white background in IE (without hover)(not in Mozilla)
    Don't have time to look at the coding at the moment (desperately trying to
    let a PHP-program do what I want :)

    > but the link colour on the buttons is not the same as on
    > the other pages.

    Cann't remember what the other pages were but it *must* have something to to
    with your color codes
    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jan 12, 2004
  13. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Now the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/testaccio.html
    > > and the page
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italienskapresentartiklarfyra.html
    > > seem to work

    > Looks good to me! (also in Mozilla and Opera). In IE6 some links have a
    > white background in IE (without hover)(not in Mozilla)
    > Don't have time to look at the coding at the moment (desperately trying to
    > let a PHP-program do what I want :)

    Thank you!

    --

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/husiitalien.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 14, 2004
  14. "Nico Schuyt" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Nico Schuyt skrev

    > > Well, I tried to change a lot of things but now it does not work as it
    > > should
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/test.html

    > *Of course* it doesn't:
    > - background-color:ffffff; Should be background-color:#ffffff;
    > - Margin-top: 5px (You wanted the items separated you said) should be 0px
    > if you dont't
    > - You want all borders the same, so: border: 1px solid red
    >
    > > and by the way, why do you set the fonts? Is it not better to let the
    > > user choose the ones he likes?

    > Probably less then 1% of internet users knows how to set or change a

    default
    > font. I just don't like serif as font. IMO the sans-serif is easier to

    read.
    > Users can override it if they want.

    If only less than 1% of internet users knows how to set or change a default
    font, they do not know either how they could override yours, don´t they?

    --

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/marcianamarina.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 16, 2004
  15. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Nico Schuyt" skrev
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    >>> and by the way, why do you set the fonts? Is it not better to let
    >>> the user choose the ones he likes?

    >> Probably less then 1% of internet users knows how to set or change a
    >> default font. I just don't like serif as font. IMO the sans-serif is
    >> easier to read. Users can override it if they want.

    > If only less than 1% of internet users knows how to set or change a
    > default font, they do not know either how they could override yours,
    > don´t they?

    The browser technique allows it. If so few people can do it, there's
    probably no need to do so.
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jan 17, 2004