Re: Leading zero

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    > I* have a zip code stored in my database. It has a leading zero (say
    > 01906, for example). It is stored as a varchar with the leading zero.
    > When I print it out on the page, the leading zero is there. (It is
    > between a <td></td>).
    >
    > I also have an export to Excel routine that formats it in what is sent
    > also between <td></td>. However, in Excel it appears without the
    > leading zero (1906, for example).

    > How can I force the leading zero to appear?

    With zeros, you need to adopt quite a different mind set to the one
    towards other numbers. You are too taken with existence, no doubt being
    mislead by the numeral's undoubted presence. But the whole point of zero
    is to mark an absence. In this case it is showing - as it were - by its
    absence what its true purpose in life is.

    Here, then, is not something that should be a problem for you but a
    cause for celebration. The reason for celebration is the rarity of a
    'coming out' (as it were) of the zeroes true nature. It has for too long
    hidden and suppressed its nature.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 27, 2008

  2. dorayme

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:31:44 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:
    >
    >> I* have a zip code stored in my database. It has a leading zero (say
    >> 01906, for example). It is stored as a varchar with the leading zero.
    >> When I print it out on the page, the leading zero is there. (It is
    >> between a <td></td>).
    >>
    >> I also have an export to Excel routine that formats it in what is sent
    >> also between <td></td>. However, in Excel it appears without the
    >> leading zero (1906, for example).

    >> How can I force the leading zero to appear?

    >With zeros, you need to adopt quite a different mind set to the one
    >towards other numbers. You are too taken with existence, no doubt being
    >mislead by the numeral's undoubted presence. But the whole point of zero
    >is to mark an absence. In this case it is showing - as it were - by its
    >absence what its true purpose in life is.
    >
    >Here, then, is not something that should be a problem for you but a
    >cause for celebration. The reason for celebration is the rarity of a
    >'coming out' (as it were) of the zeroes true nature. It has for too long
    >hidden and suppressed its nature.

    How very true. as the song goes, "Nothin from nothin leaves nothin,
    and that means somethin if ya wanna be with me.".

    However, in this case where a zero has meaning and substance as the
    first character, then if it shows not, something is amiss with the
    person's capability to understand how the simple functions of his
    particular device works.

    Could we then therefor not interperilate this demise with such trivial
    minor incapacitating things as " R T F M "??

    richard, Oct 28, 2008