Re: Leading zero

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mayeul, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. Mayeul

    Mayeul Guest

    a écrit :
    > Can a valid Zip code have a leading zero?

    Yes.

    Actually, if you consider the question worldwide, a valid Zip code can
    consist of absolutely anything you could write on an envelope and that
    could be read and rewritten the same way by different people. Only
    supporting unicode-encodable zip codes may be an acceptable limitation.

    --
    Mayeul
    Mayeul, Oct 28, 2008

  2. Mayeul

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:27:00 +0100, Mayeul <>
    wrote:

    > a écrit :
    >> Can a valid Zip code have a leading zero?

    >Yes.
    >
    >Actually, if you consider the question worldwide, a valid Zip code can
    >consist of absolutely anything you could write on an envelope and that
    >could be read and rewritten the same way by different people. Only
    >supporting unicode-encodable zip codes may be an acceptable limitation.

    Technically speaking, in the USA a zero is a valid first character
    with the zero designating most of the northeast section from NY to
    Maine.

    The only one that does not fit the pattern is 01001 because that is
    where "Mr. Zip", the inventor lived.

    The problem is, the OP has not yet learned how to apply the workings
    of Excel properly. I have used several word processors and most of
    them somewhere, have the capability of accepting leading zeroes and
    even spaces. In general, the default setting appears to be four
    characters and not accepting leading zeroes or spaces.

    In short, RTFM and learn.
    richard, Oct 28, 2008