RE: Learning Python book, new edition?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Demel, Jeff, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Demel, Jeff

    Demel, Jeff Guest

    John wrote:
    >So what happens with google bots etc... Information provided
    >in the email could be helpful to others that are NOT the original
    > recipient. And what happens to the archive stuff?

    I will forward your response to our crack legal department. Perhaps
    they can help you with your very astute questions.

    -Jeff
    This email is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this email to the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

    Demel, Jeff, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Demel, Jeff

    Steven Wayne Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:42:34 -0600, Demel, Jeff
    <> wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >>So what happens with google bots etc... Information provided
    >>in the email could be helpful to others that are NOT the original
    >> recipient. And what happens to the archive stuff?

    > I will forward your response to our crack legal department. Perhaps
    > they can help you with your very astute questions.
    >
    > -Jeff
    > This email is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is
    > addressed.

    Hi,

    Don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't an email, it's a usenet
    posting.

    I'm also not the "individual or entity to which it is addressed" because
    I read it from a news server and it was addressed to "comp.lang.python".

    > This email may contain information that is privileged,
    > confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.

    Then you would do well to not publish it in a public forum.

    > Dissemination,
    > distribution or copying of this e-mail or any attachments by anyone
    > other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible
    > for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited.

    So if this /were/ actually an email you've just given permission for an
    admin of any mail server the email passes through to disseminate or copy
    it.

    For those not aware:

    Disseminate:

    Verb: disseminate - cause to become widely known; "spread information";
    "circulate a rumor"; "broadcast the news"

    > If
    > you are not the intended recipient of this message or the employee or
    > agent responsible for delivery of this email to the intended recipient,
    > please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it
    > from your system. Any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction
    > of this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited and may
    > be unlawful.

    Unlawful how? You've already given permission for an "agent responsible
    for delivering the message" to broadcast it around the world.

    Sorry for the rant, but I'm an email admin and I've just been told about
    the change to UK law.

    I'm giving our legal department even more grief.

    Steven
    --
    .''`.
    : :' :

    Steven Wayne, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Demel, Jeff

    Duncan Booth Guest

    Steven Wayne <> wrote:

    > Don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't an email, it's a usenet
    > posting.

    It is now, but it started as an email. If you examine its headers he sent
    it to the list but the list administrator had set up software up to copy
    the email to a newsgroup. Fortunately, as you said, the email gave him
    permission to do that otherwise the entire legal profession might have
    collapsed under its own weight.

    Duncan Booth, Jan 12, 2007
  4. On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:50:21 -0600, Steven Wayne wrote:

    [snip stupid disclaimer and response to it]

    > Unlawful how? You've already given permission for an "agent responsible
    > for delivering the message" to broadcast it around the world.
    >
    > Sorry for the rant, but I'm an email admin and I've just been told about
    > the change to UK law.

    What change to UK law?

    > I'm giving our legal department even more grief.

    For those interested in an amateur analysis of email disclaimers:

    http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

    If you get a Forbidden error, try going to the top level of the site first
    http://goldmark.org/ and navigating down by following links. Try not to
    laugh at all the "an error occurred while processing this directive"
    messages.

    --
    Steven.

    Steven D'Aprano, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Demel, Jeff

    Steven Wayne Guest

    On 12 Jan 2007 11:06:29 GMT, Duncan Booth
    <> wrote:
    > Steven Wayne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't an email, it's a usenet
    >> posting.

    > It is now, but it started as an email. If you examine its headers he sent
    > it to the list but the list administrator had set up software up to copy
    > the email to a newsgroup.

    There's a list?

    > Fortunately, as you said, the email gave him
    > permission to do that otherwise the entire legal profession might have
    > collapsed under its own weight.

    :)

    Not seeing a down side to that.

    But it brings up and interesting point.

    Is automatic email to newsgroup software now defunct?

    What if the disclaimer were better written and it forbade such an action?

    Steven
    --
    .''`.
    : :' :

    Steven Wayne, Jan 12, 2007
  6. Demel, Jeff

    Steven Wayne Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:44:33 +1100, Steven D'Aprano
    <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:50:21 -0600, Steven Wayne wrote:
    >
    > [snip stupid disclaimer and response to it]
    >
    >> Unlawful how? You've already given permission for an "agent responsible
    >> for delivering the message" to broadcast it around the world.
    >>
    >> Sorry for the rant, but I'm an email admin and I've just been told about
    >> the change to UK law.

    > What change to UK law?

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/21/new_web_email_regulation/

    Steven