Re: learning to program

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alan Gauld, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Alan Gauld

    Alan Gauld Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:36:08 +0200, "U. N. Owen"
    <> wrote:
    > Not TCI but TCL... It's another script language,
    > but it's not installed with Python. Here it
    > was just an example, so you don't need it for
    > the moment. If you are interested, go to
    > www.tcl.tk.

    That's correct.

    But to add a clarifying explanation for why I included Tcl in the
    first place, Python up to version 1.5 came with a full Tcl/Tk
    installation bundled to enable Tkinter. After 1.6 they only
    shipped the libraries so the tutorial suggestion to play with Tcl
    suddenly became invalid :-(

    Tcl is still a fun language with many interesting concepts but
    I wouldn't recommend an absolute beginner to use it if it's not
    already available.

    Alan G.

    Author of the Learn to Program website
    Alan Gauld, Aug 28, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Alan Gauld <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:36:08 +0200, "U. N. Owen"
    ><> wrote:
    >> Not TCI but TCL... It's another script language,
    >> but it's not installed with Python. Here it
    >> was just an example, so you don't need it for
    >> the moment. If you are interested, go to
    >> www.tcl.tk.
    >>

    >That's correct.
    >
    >But to add a clarifying explanation for why I included Tcl in the
    >first place, Python up to version 1.5 came with a full Tcl/Tk
    >installation bundled to enable Tkinter. After 1.6 they only
    >shipped the libraries so the tutorial suggestion to play with Tcl
    >suddenly became invalid :-(

    .
    .
    .
    But not *much* invalid. While I don't recommend it to
    the original poster, as he's a beginner, it might amuse
    those with a little Python background to play with
    import Tkinter
    Tcl_script = "some Tcl script here"
    Tkinter.tk.eval(Tcl_script)
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
    Cameron Laird, Sep 1, 2003

  3. In article <>, I misled readers with:
    > .
    > .
    > .
    >But not *much* invalid. While I don't recommend it to
    >the original poster, as he's a beginner, it might amuse
    >those with a little Python background to play with
    > import Tkinter
    > Tcl_script = "some Tcl script here"
    > Tkinter.tk.eval(Tcl_script)

    .
    .
    .
    Incorrect. I had a little editing problem in posting that;
    I apologize to all the readers the missing "Tk()" has puzzled.
    Here's a more useful example:
    import Tkinter
    Tcl_script = 'puts "This is an example."'
    Tkinter.Tk().tk.eval(Tcl_script)

    Cameron Laird, Sep 1, 2003