Re: libmysqld.dll & Python API seeking...

Discussion in 'Python' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. JZ wrote:
    > Is there any Python module working with embed MySQL 4.x? I found only
    > C++ API with not working example from MySQL manual. :(

    MySQLdb can be built against MySQL 4.x. It should be certainly possible
    to make it work against the embedded version of MySQL. Last time I tried
    the result was that at .connect time it crashed. But if you invest more
    time than me (more than 2 minutes), you can probably get it working ;-)

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Aug 13, 2003

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

    JZ Guest

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:50:48 +0200, Gerhard Häring <>
    wrote:

    >MySQLdb can be built against MySQL 4.x. It should be certainly possible
    >to make it work against the embedded version of MySQL. Last time I tried
    >the result was that at .connect time it crashed. But if you invest more
    >time than me (more than 2 minutes), you can probably get it working ;-)

    It is not so easy, because I need Win32 version of such MySQLdb :( I
    try to compile the source using Bloodsheed DevC++ 4.9.8.1
    (http://www.bloodshed.net/) but without result. I added header files
    from Python 2.2.3 but it did not help. :(

    JZ, Aug 13, 2003

  3. JZ wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:50:48 +0200, Gerhard Häring <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>MySQLdb can be built against MySQL 4.x. It should be certainly possible
    >>to make it work against the embedded version of MySQL. Last time I tried
    >>the result was that at .connect time it crashed. But if you invest more
    >>time than me (more than 2 minutes), you can probably get it working ;-)

    > It is not so easy, because I need Win32 version of such MySQLdb :( I
    > try to compile the source using Bloodsheed DevC++ 4.9.8.1
    > (http://www.bloodshed.net/) but without result. I added header files
    > from Python 2.2.3 but it did not help. :(

    The problem is that you can't use MINGW to compile against the MySQL
    libraries MySQL AB offers. AFAIC they reference LIBCMT while MINGW can
    only work with MSVCRT.

    There used to be MySQL binaries/libraries for Windows that were built
    with a patched version of the MySQL sources and MINGW. Unfortunately,
    these are no longer available.

    That's why I still use MSVC6 to build the MySQLdb binaries on win32 :-(

    Btw. the method to build MySQLdb is to use distutils. If you use
    something else, you'd better know about your tools :)

    If somebody manages to change MySQldb or its build process so that it
    can link to the embedded version of MySQL (on a more developer-friendly
    platform), I'll be happy to use this patch and create the corresponding
    win32 binaries.

    But I won't put much effort in this myself, because I personally have
    exactly zero interest in MySQL. My only motivation for offering the
    binaries is to promote Python as a language for MySQL users.

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Aug 13, 2003