RE: library.zip and 7zip

Discussion in 'Python' started by Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy), Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Peter Hansen wrote:

    > Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
    >
    >> Jaco Smuts wrote:
    >>
    >>> which works fine when I skip the 7z bit, but that breaks it?

    >> 7z uses LZMA, which is a different compression method.

    > I was going to say the same thing, until I checked the
    > 7zip web page and found that the -tzip option specifies
    > a standard zip file, not the 7z format. Interestingly,
    > 7zip claims to improve on the compression ratio even
    > for the standard format (e.g. about 7% better on the
    > Canterbury Corpus file set).

    Ah - I missed the -tzip option :( Hmm - so it *should* work -
    technically.

    Jaco - are you *absolutely* positive that you are using -tzip? Just in
    case it's a simple mistake (typo, etc).

    Tim Delaney

    Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy), Jul 6, 2004

  2. Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy)

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:

    > Ah - I missed the -tzip option :( Hmm - so it *should* work -
    > technically.
    >
    > Jaco - are you *absolutely* positive that you are using -tzip? Just in
    > case it's a simple mistake (typo, etc).

    Maybe trying to read the file with Python's own zipfile
    module would be a good idea. I assume that the import
    mechanism basically uses the same (de)compression engine
    (ie. zlib.pyd). If it can't read it, then obviously
    -tzip or no, the problem is with 7z compression.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jul 6, 2004