Re: Light Box Effect (2 Windows, 1 Smaller And Active Above Inactive

Discussion in 'Java' started by clusardi2k, Aug 4, 2012.

  1. clusardi2k

    clusardi2k Guest

    On Friday, August 3, 2012 3:56:28 PM UTC-4, markspace wrote:
    >>Wrote:There's also a book call Swing Hacks which has some interesting ideas,
    >>including an animated window similar to what you are asking for. Still not
    >> exactly a lightbox however.

    There are 2 books with that title from 2005.

    I think Amazon says the book is old!

    Thanks,

    --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    clusardi2k, Aug 4, 2012

  2. clusardi2k

    markspace Guest

    To: clusardi2k
    From: markspace <-@.>

    On 8/3/2012 12:59 PM, wrote:
    > On Friday, August 3, 2012 3:56:28 PM UTC-4, markspace wrote:
    >>> Wrote:There's also a book call Swing Hacks which has some interesting

    ideas,
    >>> including an animated window similar to what you are asking for. Still not
    >>> exactly a lightbox however.

    > There are 2 books with that title from 2005.
    >
    > I think Amazon says the book is old!

    It is old. But the code still works, and shows some important things that are
    not available anywhere else. Old is not always bad.

    markspace, Aug 4, 2012

  3. clusardi2k

    clusardi2k Guest

    To: markspace

    On Friday, August 3, 2012 4:31:06 PM UTC-4, markspace wrote:
    >>> Wrote:There's also a book call Swing Hacks which has
    >>> some interesting ideas, including an animated window
    >>> similar to what you are asking for. Still not exactly
    >>> a lightbox however.

    For a cost of $4.24, I'll definiately have the following book in about a week:

    Swing Hacks: Tips and Tools for Killer GUIs(1st Edition) by Joshua Marinacci,
    Chris Adamson
    Paperback, 546 Pages, Published 2005 by O'reilly Media ISBN-13:
    978-0-596-00907-6, ISBN: 0-596-00907-0

    Funny, how something so rich in ideas can be so inexpensive.

    So thanks for another shelf book, but I won't keep my fingers crossed on me
    building the best of the best in this case.

    And, I don't think I'll ever be able to develop the animation totally on my
    own! My implementation would amount to being too slow, etc, etc, etc.

    Anyway, what's wrong with just disabling a large window below a smaller enabled
    window?

    (I'll probably try to just live with that.)

    Does anyone have a project which hints of a light box effect. The code doesn't
    have to be a full blown light box effect.

    clusardi2k, Aug 4, 2012
  4. clusardi2k

    markspace Guest

    To: clusardi2k
    From: markspace <-@.>

    On 8/4/2012 1:16 AM, wrote:

    > Swing Hacks: Tips and Tools for Killer GUIs(1st Edition) by Joshua
    > Marinacci, Chris Adamson

    > So thanks for another shelf book, but I won't keep my fingers crossed
    > on me building the best of the best in this case.

    Yes, that's the book. When you get it, Hack #45, Animating a Sheet Dialog, is
    the one I am thinking of. It shows how to make an animation for a dialog as it
    appears and disappears. Similar to the Mac interface at the time it was
    written. I think you could use the same technique to grey the background and
    then display your dialog on top to make a lightbox.

    markspace, Aug 4, 2012