    Is Java script required for this?

    Regard
    David

    David Egan, Apr 9, 2004

  2. David Egan

    Chris Morris Guest

    Re: Line under hyperlink

    "David Egan" <> writes:
    > Want to know how you remove the line under a hyper link (text) when the
    > mouse is not over the link and when you move the mouse over the link (text)
    > the under line appears most proffessional sites operate this way.

    a { text-decoration: none; }
    a:hover { text-decoration: underline; }

    Make sure you make it clear through some other means that the text is
    a link, the reverse behaviour (underline vanishes on mouse-over) is
    also very common and easier to use.

    a:hover { text-decoration: none; }

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Apr 9, 2004

  3. David Egan

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Re: Line under hyperlink

    David Egan began a thread with "Re:"

    > Want to know how you remove the line under a hyper link (text) when
    > the mouse is not over the link and when you move the mouse over the
    > link (text) the under line appears most proffessional sites operate
    > this way.

    Why would you want to confuse your visitors? How are they to find your
    links if they are not underlined? Do you have a URL?

    Any professional site that does this needs some training in the web
    department.

    > Is Java script required for this?

    No. Use CSS if you really must. Look into
    { text-decoration: none }

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 9, 2004
  5. David Egan

    Spartanicus Guest

    Re: Line under hyperlink

    "David Egan" <> wrote:

    >Hi

    Don't prefix subject lines with "Re:" if you are posting a new message.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Re: Line under hyperlink

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > David Egan began a thread with "Re:"
    >
    >> Want to know how you remove the line under a hyper link (text) when
    >> the mouse is not over the link and when you move the mouse over the
    >> link (text) the under line appears most proffessional sites operate
    >> this way.

    > Why would you want to confuse your visitors? How are they to find your
    > links if they are not underlined? Do you have a URL?
    >
    > Any professional site that does this needs some training in the web
    > department.

    [snip]

    I tend to agree if these are "stand-along" links in some sense. (I
    experimented, but changed back to underlines for that reason).

    But if these are links that are made to look like buttons, or links in some
    drop-down menu, I think people know enough to realise that they links.
    Especially if the the whole of the button, instead of just the text part of
    it, is sensitive to "hover".

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

    Barry Pearson, Apr 9, 2004
  7. David Egan

    Mitja Guest

    Re: Line under hyperlink

    > Links Want To Be Links
    But some of them want to look oh so pretty. It's only democratic to allow
    it... [As long as it stays evident what they are]

    Mitja, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Re: Line under hyperlink

    "Barry Pearson" <> wrote:

    > But if these are links that are made to look like buttons, or links
    > in some drop-down menu, I think people know enough to realise that
    > they links.

    Pardon? If you deliberately do quite some work to prevent links from
    looking like links, turning them to buttons or dropdown menu entries, how
    can you seriously say that they - of all links - should be recognized as
    links?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 9, 2004
  9. David Egan

    brucie Guest

    Re: Line under hyperlink

    in post: <news:c56m0c$f49$>
    "Mitja" <> said:

    >> Links Want To Be Links

    > But some of them want to look oh so pretty. It's only democratic to allow
    > it... [As long as it stays evident what they are]

    i don't have a problem with that[1] but i think people should be aware
    of the issues involved before they do it, not just do it just because
    its kewl and screw it up.

    [1] i own the patent on removing underlines and get 50 cents every time
    someone does it.

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 10, 2004
  10. David Egan

    Whitecrest Guest

    Re: Line under hyperlink

    In article <Xns94C6D3D40DB3Djkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>,
    says...

    > > But if these are links that are made to look like buttons, or links
    > > in some drop-down menu, I think people know enough to realise that
    > > they links.

    > Pardon? If you deliberately do quite some work to prevent links from
    > looking like links, turning them to buttons or dropdown menu entries, how
    > can you seriously say that they - of all links - should be recognized as
    > links?

    Virtually every good CSS dropdown menu example does away with the
    underline.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com