Re: link for download

Discussion in 'HTML' started by brucie, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. brucie

    brucie Guest

    In post <be39ef$5obv$>
    mali djuro said...

    > i have test.xml file on server, and i want to make link for download it but
    > i don't know how. i tried with standard definition of link

    thats it.

    > but it works only on right click on mouse and save target as
    > but on left mouse click browser opens file.

    thats what happens with your setup, not everyones. the visitors
    setting determine what happens to a file when a link is clicked on.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 04/July/2003 06:35:34 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jul 4, 2003

  2. brucie

    mali djuro Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In post <be39ef$5obv$>
    > mali djuro said...
    >
    > > i have test.xml file on server, and i want to make link for download it

    but
    > > i don't know how. i tried with standard definition of link

    > thats it.

    i know that

    > > but it works only on right click on mouse and save target as
    > > but on left mouse click browser opens file.

    > thats what happens with your setup, not everyones. the visitors
    > setting determine what happens to a file when a link is clicked on.

    i want the following situation:

    on left mouse click -> open dialog box for downloading
    on right mouse click -> save target as

    now is:

    on left mouse click -> open file in browser
    on right mouse click -> save target as

    i know that if exstension of file is zip it will open dialog box and it will
    work ok, but i want download test.xml file

    thanks

    mali djuro, Jul 4, 2003

  3. brucie

    brucie Guest

    In post <be3fr9$5sk9$>
    mali djuro said...

    > i know that if exstension of file is zip it will open dialog box and it will
    > work ok,

    that will happen with your settings, not everyones

    > but i want download test.xml file

    right click on it if that is how your browser downloads a file or
    change your settings so you get the dialogue box to download it when
    you left click.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 04/July/2003 07:07:34 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jul 4, 2003
  4. brucie

    mali djuro Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In post <be3fr9$5sk9$>
    > mali djuro said...
    >
    > > i know that if exstension of file is zip it will open dialog box and it

    will
    > > work ok,

    > that will happen with your settings, not everyones
    >
    > > but i want download test.xml file

    > right click on it if that is how your browser downloads a file or
    > change your settings so you get the dialogue box to download it when
    > you left click.

    Does it means that there is no way to make it with few lines of code?

    mali djuro, Jul 4, 2003
  5. brucie

    brucie Guest

    In post <be3gr7$6cse$>
    mali djuro said...

    >>> but i want download test.xml file

    >> right click on it if that is how your browser downloads a file or
    >> change your settings so you get the dialogue box to download it when
    >> you left click.

    > Does it means that there is no way to make it with few lines of code?

    as i said in my first post. what happens when a link to a file is
    clicked depends on the visitors settings. you cant force a download
    dialogue to appear and if you try you risk screwing it up.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 04/July/2003 07:27:39 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jul 4, 2003